The general goal of this Master’s Degree in Education and ICT could be defined, in a broad sense, as the training of experts with advanced knowledge and skills to investigate in: teaching-learning processes supported by ICT and developed through virtual environments programs training and educational innovation projects on ICT in formal education institutions (both school and university) and non-formal design and development of educational software, online teaching materials, digital content and educational applications distributed through digital media and technologies.
Through this master’s degree graduates in degrees such as Pedagogy, Master, Social Educator, Psychologist, Communication or Computer Engineer may specialize in the academic and research field of education and ICT.
Justification of the title
ICT or Information and Communication Technologies (Internet, mobile telephony, Web 2.0, social networks, email, videogames, augmented reality, …) have broken into all areas of our lives that imposes new forms and processes of communication and cultural expression Nowadays, surf the web, know how to search for the necessary information, send and receive electronic mail, communicate interactively in real or deferred time through computers with other people in social networks, know how to create mutimedia documents to distribute them through the web or through blogs, wikis or any other social media tool, are, among others, knowledge and skills that any citizen must master to be able to develop intelligently in the new environments and spaces that make up digital technologies.
In parallel, educational activity is also affected by the expansion of ICT. In these moments concepts such as eLearning, multimedia educational material, digital content, virtual campus, edublog, educational portal, e-learning, virtual learning environment, educational apps, gamification of learning, educational social networks, e-portfolios, personal learning environments ( PLE), MOOCs, ubiquitous and invisible learning, among many others, are evidence that digital technologies are already a reality in the practice of education.
Practically nowadays any public administration responsible for the school system, any university institution, any private training company, any association or pedagogical group, have technological tools that allow them to offer and develop activities supported by the use of ICT … This way the use of digital technologies for educational purposes is an economic sector that, for a decade, is constantly growing.
Entry and exit profile
The Master is open to any university graduate, although it is especially aimed at graduates from the Faculties of Education, University Teaching Schools, and other university centers that participate in the training of educators and / or teachers of any educational level, as well as of the Higher Technical Schools of Information Technology. The preferred degrees are those of:
- Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Education
- Degree of Master of Primary Education
- Degree of Pedagogy
- Degree in Social Education
- Degree in Pedagogy,
- Degree in Psychopedagogy
- Diploma of Social Education
- Master’s degrees in its various modalities (Infant, Primary, Foreign Languages, Physical Education, Music Education, Speech Therapy)
- Technical Engineers in Computing
- Graduates in Computer Engineering
- Degree in Computer Engineering
- Master’s Degree in Teacher Training for Compulsory Secondary Education, Baccalaureate, Vocational Training and Language Teaching
- Other postgraduate degrees that accredit training in the field of education
Also, when offered by distance, this Master also opens its doors to students from other Spanish universities of the previous degrees, but mainly to students from Latin American countries.
It is intended that the holder of this Master’s Degree obtain the specialized academic knowledge and skills that will allow him to develop applied research in sectors such as:
- Educational research centers (Observatories, Foundations, Universities)
- Publishing of textbooks and teaching materials
- ELearning and distance training companies
- Companies that create and develop computer applications
- Educational administration: CEPs, public educational centers, etc.
- Private educational centers
- Units or elearning cabinets in public and private universities
- Virtual Campus of any educational level
- Companies of media (press, radio, television, cinema) and the leisure industry (videogames)
- Educational entrepreneurship on the Internet
- Cabinets and centers of studies on ICT and media
- Educational cabinets of cultural centers such as libraries, museums, etc.
This Master in Education and Information Technology and Communication is 60 credits (48 compulsory, 12 Master’s Thesis) and, due to its research orientation, enables access to the completion of a doctoral thesis.
- Understand the theoretical foundations of the impact and use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in education.
- Apply the knowledge to plan and implement training actions with ICT both in face-to-face and distance education modalities, as well as for the creation and development of software and digital educational content.
- Apply methodological and scientific knowledge for the design and development of educational research projects on the impact and use of ICT in different educational contexts and institutions.
- Understand the fundamentals of the phenomena involved in training processes with ICT in educational institutions, both in the blended and distance learning modalities.
- Know the processes and procedures for the organization, management and administration of social networks, web portals, social media and other digital resources of educational institutions.
- Know the procedures to develop plans for use and research of ICT in any field and educational institution.
- Synthesize the knowledge that allows the design of materials or digital educational content in the field of private companies and public institutions.
- Apply knowledge to plan and evaluate innovation programs or projects.
- Educational with ICT for public administrations, private educational centers, or non-formal educational institutions (libraries, museums, NGOs).
- Apply the basic knowledge for the development of software, portals and web tools, apps and educational video games.
- Apply knowledge to plan and evaluate teacher training programs in ICT at all educational levels (children, primary, secondary, university) as well as for non-formal educational agents or cultural mediators.
- Apply knowledge to plan the implementation and evaluation of projects with ICT in any institution or educational organization.
- Design a research project in the field of Educational Technology, develop it and prepare its final report.
- Apply knowledge for educational entrepreneurship in the field of ICT and Education.
- Know the basics of computer science, telecommunications and software engineering and their educational applications.
- Understand the fundamentals of the sociocultural and educational impact of ICT in today’s world.
- Know and know how to use the different tools, applications, educational software, Web 2.0 tools and social networks for educational purposes.
Orientation and mentoring
After the process of student selection, the Academic Committee of the master will be responsible for carrying out the assignment of a teacher-tutor who will accompany the student throughout the duration of the Master. The tutor-academic will be a university professor of the Master that will have as main function to support the formative process of the student through tutorials. The main functions to be performed by the academic tutor would be:
- Help plan and organize learning activities;
- To provide the student with autonomous learning strategies;
- Help solve problems that arise.
Since the Master is distance learning, support for students will be carried out through three channels using different channels or Internet tools:
- On the one hand through the site or official website of the Master that will be open and open access. In the same will be distributed information on the characteristics of Master, requirements and criteria of access, program or curriculum, economic cost, teachers, etc. In this web site not only will be included textual documents, but also multimedia presentations, and explanatory / advertising video clips of the Master.
- Through VIRTUAL CLASSROOMS that configure a specific virtual training space of the Master that will be private, since only enrolled students and participating teachers will be able to access it. This virtual elearning space will be housed in the Virtual Campus of the University of La Laguna which is managed by the UDV. The Unit for Virtual Teaching (UDV) has different lines of action related mainly to the virtual teaching support of the University, it explores the educational possibilities of ICT and the available resources, in order to incorporate them as tools of use by the University. university community, which translates into an improvement in teaching and research quality. The UDV supports and offers all its infrastructure for the creation of all the classrooms and virtual spaces necessary for the proper development of the Master in the modality of distance education. Among them are the use of LMS (Moodle), recording studios and hosting of video clips ULLMedia, as well as the support of its technical staff.
- Through different resources and open Web 2.0 tools, especially social networks. In this sense, it is intended to stimulate the use both of the teachers and the students of communication networks (Twitter, Google+, Facebook) together with other digital publication spaces such as YouTube, Vimeo, Slideshare, Pearltrees, etc. A proprietary and closed social network for the participants in the Master will also be created through the EDMODO platform.
Please follow and like us: