The one-hundred-year history of the University of Alberta has been a century of vision, a vision borne out of the partnership of two ambitious men: Alexander Cameron Rutherford, the first Premier of Alberta, and Henry Marshall Tory, a McGill University professor who became the University of Alberta’s first president. Critics at the time dismissed their dream as impossible, or at best impractical, but the vision would become a reality. The passing of the University Act in 1906 by the new government of Alberta paved the way to the official opening of the University in 1908.
The University of Alberta is a strong supporter of Campus Alberta. The university has a long history of collaboration with Alberta’s post-secondary institutions. When the provincial government created Campus Alberta in 2002, the U of A took on an active leadership role promoting excellence, access and efficiency across Alberta’s post-secondary sector. Our leadership includes not only programming and research partnerships, but also administrative collaborations. The following timelines reflect the excellence, impact and efficiency the U of A brings to Campus Alberta by highlighting some of the university’s many collaborative projects and programs.