Study in UK – Immigration Updates for the International Students

     The Tier 2 (General) visa allows internationals graduates to work full time in the UK after graduating, providing they meet the necessary criteria. It is possible for eligible family members of the Tier 2 visa holder (husband/wife/civil partner/children) to get a Tier 2 Dependant visa.

There are concessions for international graduates who switch from a Tier 4 visa to a Tier 2 visa in the UK. In order to be eligible to switch to a Tier 2 visa in the UK, these conditions must be met:

  • The job offer must be from a company which has a Tier 2 licence.
  • The graduate must have successfully completed an undergraduate or postgraduate course.
  • The graduate must be prepared to show the necessary maintenance in their bank account. This is £945 which must be held continuously for 90 days prior to the visa application.
  • The job must be listed in either of these Home Office documents: The Codes of Practice or The Shortage Occupation List.
  • The job must meet minimum salary conditions – see below

Minimum Salary

The job must meet specified minimum salary levels. If the graduate is switching from a Tier 4 visa to a Tier 2 visa inside the UK then the graduate is considered a ‘new entrant’. The salary for new entrants must be no lower than £20,800 or the minimum salary specified by the Home Office for that job (whichever is higher) in The Codes of Practice or The Shortage Occupation List.

Here are some examples of jobs* which are currently eligible for a Tier 2 visa and are particularly applicable to Sheffield Hallam courses and graduates:

  • Engineer professionals
  • IT and telecommunication professionals
  • Health professionals (e.g. occupational therapists/health adviser, physiotherapists, nurses, midwives)
  • Teaching professionals
  • Legal professionals
  • Business project management professionals
  • Architects
  • Construction project professionals
  • Social workers
  • Financial and sales accounts professionals

(* Please note these are examples only, and the list of eligible jobs can change, subject to UK Government policy.)

Support for international students

The International Experience Team gives excellent and tailored visa advice and support to international students wishing to switch from into a work visa after graduation: International Experience Team, Student Services, Level 5, Owen

The Careers and Employment Team offers each international student bespoke advice and guidance on their chosen career: Careers and Employability Centre, City Campus.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *