US Immigration

usa immgration

United States of America has an established history of welcoming immigrants from all over the world. There are different categories of US immigration based on Family Immigration of US citizen and Green Card holder, Business Immigration, and Investor Immigration.

Family Immigration

United States of America has an established history of welcoming immigrants from all over the world. There are different categories of US immigration based on Family Immigration of US citizen and Green Card holder, Business Immigration, and Investor Immigration

Business Immigration

This category includes owners, executives and employees of the foreign companies outside of the USA to work and live in the USA temporarily. This category is for L-1 visa.Principal applicant can bring his/her dependents to the USA. After three years under this category visa    holders can apply for the green card (Permanent Residence).

 Investor Immigration

This category includes E-2 Visa and EB-5. The difference between E-2 is applicant has to make substantial investment, there is no minimum and maximum limit if investment has been provided in the law but we recommend it should not be less than $50,000. Under E-2 category applicant can not apply for the green card, this visa is valid as long as your investment in the US will be active. E-2 visa holder can bring his/her dependents to live, study and work in the USA. In this category in one investment two families may be entertained on the equally half/half basis. Children under 21 years of the age are eligible to come with their parents in E-2 category.

EB-5 category is requires to make an investment of $500,000 minimum to qualify. These investments are made through the Designated Regional Centers of US Immigration. In this category EB-5 visa holder with his family (Children under 21) get the green card within a month of his arrival in the USA.

Investments made in E-2 and EB-5 are secured in your ESCROW ACCOUNT. Feel Free to contact us for more information. We provide the best services for filing petition with the US Immigration Department and consular processing with US Embassy Islamabad and US Consulate in Karachi.

Our Free USA Immigration Eligibility Assessment is designed to instantly determine if you are eligible to apply for the US Immigration.

Please follow and like us:

Coming Soon: QS World University Rankings: Business Masters Rankings 2018

university ranking
Coming Soon: QS World University Rankings: Business Master's Rankings 2018 main image
Please follow and like us:

Study & Work Visa for Italy

stydy in italy

Work & Student Visa in Italy

Student visas in Italy are issued by Italian Embassies and consular posts in a student’s country of origin or permanent residence.

European Union (EU) students can enter Italy with a valid passport or an ID card and are entitled to complete a degree in Italy without a visa for as long as they wish. These students must, however, register with the Questura (police station), to obtain residence permit.

Non-EU students are required to obtain a student visa prior entering Italy.

Visa types

There are two types of student visas in Italy, depending on the duration of the study program.

  • Visa type C: Short-stay visa or travel visa valid for one or more entries and for a period not exceeding 90 days
  • Visa type D: Long-stay visa valid for more than 90 days

Always start these procedures well in advance of the intended date of entry as the process time can be lengthy. The procedures for student visas in Italy are subject to change, so it is worthwhile to contact the Italian Embassy for information to confirm current visa requirements.

Required Documents

Application forms for student visas in Italy must include a recent passport-size photo, a valid travel document and supporting documents depending on the type of visa the student is applying for.

Students also have to present the following:

  • Letter of acceptance from the university
  • Proof of adequate financial means of support, including the amount necessary to travel back to their home country or have already purchased a valid return-ticket
  • Health documents
  • Accommodation

Working during your studies

Non-EU students may work during their studies if they obtain a work permit. Processing times vary between regions and it takes an average of two months. Therefore it’s better if students don’t rely on getting a job upon their arrival to Italy.

Please follow and like us:

How to travel 20+ countries VISA-FREE with US visa


Yes, you read it correct. Travel 20+ countries VISA-FREE with US visa.

I always encourage travelers from developing countries to get a US visa at some point. It opens up doors to many other countries. More and more countries have started offering visa exemption with a valid US visa. This list is only growing.

You can start off your international travel adventure with VISA-FREE countries first. But getting a US visa will add another 20+ countries to that list.

Why do countries offer visa exemption to US visa holders?

Reason 1: Strict screening
US visa application has a very strict screening process. US visa is also one of the most difficult visas to get. If you have a US visa, then you were screened pretty well already. Meaning, you do not have a criminal history or any illegal immigration intentions.

Reason 2: Strong ties to your home country
US visa application also makes sure you have strong ties to your home country. This is to avoid illegal immigration. If you were to stay illegally anywhere, you could have stayed illegally in the US itself. So, having a US visa reassures them that you have no intentions of remaining in their country illegally.

Reason 3: Financial reasons
Developing countries do not have the infrastructure or the money to screen the applicants. If you were already screened by a country like the USA, there is no need to screen you again. In order to have a screening process that is as foolproof as the US, it costs a good chunk of money.

Which US visas are eligible?

USA visa image
The US visa can be a tourist visa (B1/B2), work visa (L1/L2/H1/H4) or permanent residency (Green card). Some countries allow C/D type of visas as well. Some countries require the US visa to be multiple-entry and has been used at least once to travel to the US.

So, without further due, here is the list.

North America

Chichen Itza in Mexico

1. United States

(of course!)

2. Mexico

Central America

Jaco beach in Costa Rica

3. Guatemala

  • Applies to India passport holders only
  • Entry up to 30 days
  • More info: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Guatemala and Embassy of India in Guatemala

4. Honduras

  • Applies to India passport holders only
  • Entry up to 30 days

5. El Salvador

  • Applies to India passport holders only
  • Entry up to 30 days
  • More info: Ministry of Foreign Relations of El Salvador

6. Nicaragua

  • Applies to India passport holders only
  • Entry up to 30 days
  • More info: Email response from the consulate of Nicaragua in Washington DC – “Si tiene visa vigente de USA valida y pasaporte más de seis meses, puede viajar y el Pasaje ida y vuelta y dirección en Nicaragua. La visa al entrar a Nicaragua se la darán por un mes, el cual si quiere estar más tiempo tiene que solicitar a la Dirección General de Migración y Extranjería.”

7. Costa Rica

  • Applies to all nationalities
  • For B1/B2, C1 or D visa from the USA, it must be valid for at least 1 day from the day of arrival
  • For student/work visa or PR from the USA, it must be valid for at least 6 months from the day of arrival
  • Entry up to 30 days
  • More info: Embassy of Costa Rica in Canada and Embassy of Costa Rica in Washington DC, USA

8. Panama

  • Applies to all nationalities
  • US visa must be valid for at least one year from the date of arrival
  • US visa must have been used at least once to enter the US before
  • Entry up to 30 days
  • More info: Embassy of Panama in the USA


Dominican Republic

9. Dominican Republic

South America

Plaza Bolivar in Bogota, Colombia

10. Colombia

  • Applies to Cambodia, China, India, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam passport holders only
  • Entry up to 90 days
  • More info: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Colombia

11. Peru

  • Applies to India and China passport holders only
  • The US visa must have been granted for at least 6 months
  • Entry up to 180 days
  • More info: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Peru


Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey

12. Turkey

  • Applies to the following passport holders only
  • Visa is NOT EXEMPT, but are eligible to apply for 30 day eVisa
  • More info: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkey

13. Georgia

  • Applies to all nationalities
  • Entry up to 90 days
  • More info: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia

14. Albania

  • Applies to all nationalities
  • Must have used the visa/PR to enter USA at least once
  • Entry up to 90 days
  • More info: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Albania

15. Montenegro

  • Applies to all nationalities
  • Entry up to 30 days
  • More info: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Montenegro

16. Serbia

  • Applies to all nationalities
  • Entry up to 90 days
  • More info: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Serbia

Middle East

Dubai skyline in UAE

17. United Arab Emirates

  • Applies to only India passport holders
  • Visa in NOT EXEMPT, but are eligible to avail Visa ON ARRIVAL at UAE airports including Dubai
  • Entry up to 14 days
  • More info: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of UAE and NDTV News

18. Qatar

  • Applies to all nationalities
  • Visa is NOT EXEMPT, but are eligible to apply for eTA and then avail Visa ON ARRIVAL at international airports in Qatar
  • Entry up to 30 days
  • More info: Qatar Tourist Authority and Ministry of Foreign Interior, Qatar


Boracay Island in Philippines

19. Taiwan

  • Applies to CambodiaIndia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Philippines and Vietnam passport holders only
  • Visa is EXEMPT but must apply online for Republic of China Travel Authorization Certificate (Valid for 90 days) before arrival
  • Entry up to 30 days
  • More info: Bureau of Consular Affairs, Republic of China (Taiwan)

20. Philippines

  • Applies to only India and China passport holders
  • Entry up to 14 days for India passport holders
  • Entry up to 7 days for China passport holders
  • A 7 day extension is possible
  • More info: Embassy of Philippines in Singapore

21. South Korea

  • Applies to all nationalities except Cuba, Macedonia, Syria, Sudan and Iran
  • Must be in transit to reach the US as final destination
  • Entry up to 30 days
  • More info: Republic of Korea Visa Portal

22. Singapore

  • Applies to India passport holder only
  • Must be in transit to or from the US
  • Entry up to 96 hours
  • More info: Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority

There you have it! List of 20+ countries you can travel visa-free with US visa. If you don’t have a US visa already, it’s time to apply for one and add another 20+ to your list of VISA-FREE countries.

Please follow and like us:

Why are so many Indian students coming to New Zealand?

newzealand has simplified

The international student market is huge money-maker for our economy. It’s already New Zealand’s fifth largest export category worth close to $3 billion and it’s only getting more lucrative. Last year, the money from tuition fees alone topped $1 billion for the first time.

While most of the international students in New Zealand have traditionally been from China, over the last few years, Indian students have rapidly grown in number. There are now more Indian students in the non-university tertiary sector than any other group.

There were more than 29,000 Indian students enrolled to study here in 2015; that’s a 150 percent increase since 2010.

More students mean more money pumped into our economy andTertiary Education Minister, Steven Joyce, says benefits of international education extend well beyond their economic contribution.“Young New Zealanders live and learn alongside people from other countries, increasing their understanding of other cultures and boosting our links with the world. These links are vital for us to prosper in an increasingly Asia-Pacific world,” he says.

The bad news is, it’s not exactly going to plan. Over the last few years, more and more accounts of cheating, immigration fraud, shoddy agents, exploitation of workers and low-quality education providers have emerged. However, much of it happens behind the scenes or even before the students land on New Zealand soil.

Earlier this year, The Wireless travelled to India to find out what’s behind the rapid growth. Here’s what we know:

#1: A very bad decision

The reality is, New Zealand isn’t a first choice study destination for most Indian Students. Countries like the US, UK, Canada and Australia are usually on the top of their wish list. But when the New Zealand Qualification Authority (NZQA) decided to change the rules, the country experienced an unprecedented surge in Indian students wanting to study here – what started as a wave quickly became a tsunami.

It began in 2013 when NZQA, with the approval of Tertiary Education Minister Steven Joyce, drastically altered the English language requirements for Indian students.In a nutshell, some Private Training Establishments (PTEs) could enrol students into their programmes without having to prove they could speak English through the standard channels – they could use their own tests and criteria instead.

PTEs are privately owned tertiary education providers. They are registered by NZQA and must be signatories of a special code to enrol international students.

While in India, The Wireless spoke to Navneet Singh, co-founder of GoGlobal education consultancy, in the North of the country.

Co-founder of GoGlobal, Navneet Singh

Photo: Julian Vares/The Wireless

Navneet sends hundreds of students to New Zealand every year and says while the intent of the policy change wasn’t bad, the results had hugely negative impacts for New Zealand.

“Before anybody could understand what happened, it went haywire.

“The primary responsibility [for English testing] was given to the PTEs…and who made the biggest money? The PTEs.”

The rule change led to a sharp increase in fraudulent activity, both by those in India and PTEs in New Zealand looking to make cash off easy-to-exploit entry requirements.

The number of international students from India surged from about 12,000 to more than 20,000 between 2013 and 2014.

Tweet from 2014 advertising study without English testing

Then the surge became a flood.  At the end of October last year, Immigration NZ already received 11 percent more student visa applications than in the whole of 2014, most of which were being declined.

In a high priority report to the Steven Joyce released to under the Official Information Act, NZQA stated that some education agents in India were actively promoting New Zealand as a destination for its ease of entry. It also noted that, in some cases, these agents in India where given the authority to enrol students on the PTEs behalf.

“These [education] providers appear to have no visibility or control over how many offers of place are issues, or to whom. Some of this “outsourcing” is of poor quality.”

Licensed Immigration Adviser Munish Sekhri says he saw, first-hand, what was going on.

“I personally was approached by many PTEs who said ‘hey look, we’ll give you the login details for our English testing portal so you or your staff can sit [the test] on behalf of the students and we’ll offer an admission letter instantly.”

Indian students also suffered. Many with low language skills become susceptible to exploitation in the New Zealand workforce, with some only managing to get jobs paying as little as $4 an hour.

Noticing the damage, NZQA tried to back-track.

They re-introduced rules in late 2015 which meant education providers couldn’t use their own English assessments for students coming from India but many say the damage was already done.

#2: Rogue Agents

The majority of students coming from India are from the North – a region most Kiwis will recognise through their taste buds with dishes like tandoori chicken, korma and naan.

Walking along the streets of Chandigarh in North India, the number of signs and banners advertising education abroad is staggering. They line the shop fronts with promises of “easy visas”, “instant approval”, and “residency”, vying for the attention of potential students.

Photo: Julian Vares/The Wireless

Most young Indians organise their trips through education agents. These agents give advice on where to study, help organise visa applications, and facilitate English testing. However, there are few rules and regulations that govern who can be an agent, what they can say, or how much they can get paid.

Late last year, a Facebook group was set up to support students in New Zealand – Agents Trapped International Students – which has 330 members. One member wrote: “I was told that business program has lot of demand and great jobs are available in Auckland. I have done graduation in business hence I thought it will be great decision to go ahead. But when I landed here I saw every third person doing this degree.”

Agents giving misinformation to potential students, as well charging high fees and falsifying documents is a growing problem.

LISTEN: Insight looks into the growing issue of dodgy visa applications from India.

Immigration lawyer Alistair McClymont says agents also tell students it’s easy to get jobs in New Zealand – a big draw card for those wanting to get residency after their study.

“If you look at any of the marketing that the agents do in India, it’s not about the quality of the qualification; it’s about the benefits that a student will get if they complete a New Zealand qualification. And that’s not in terms of the skills they get…it’s about what Immigration NZ will offer them after they graduate.”

Agents are paid commission to send students to particular education providers. Universities give a flat rate of about 10 percent commission, while Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics give up to 30. Reports out of India suggest agents are offered up to 50 percent commission to send students to PTEs, making them more appealing to send students to, even if the quality of education is low.

Out of the 29,235 Indian students in New Zealand last year, more than 21,000 of them attended PTEs. Navneet from GoGlobal in India says shoddy agents can say anything to attract students.

“There are ads in newspapers which say ‘go through us, we’ll give you free air ticket, we’ll give you a laptop.’ When such lucrative ads are there, you can understand what is happening.”

Chandigarh, North India

Photo: Julian Vares/The Wireless

Recently the NZ Herald reported that out of the 10,863 declined applications Immigration received from Indian in ten months, 85 percent had been lodged by unlicensed education advisers, student agents and lawyers who are exempt from licensing.

Regulating agents in India is no simple task. While there are about 33 licensed immigration advisors in India, according to Munish Shekhri, there are thousands of others working with students and getting commission from New Zealand companies. But he says the blame can’t solely to put on the agents or even the places offering them commission – the students need to take responsibility, too.

“The big onus is on the student…they have to understand they cannot come to New Zealand and corrupt the country.”

#3: Cheap as chips

Te Puke – a quiet town outside of Tauranga with a population of about 8,000 – is best known for its kiwifruit. It backpackers and camping grounds are full of seasonal workers from the Pacific Islands, plus the odd travellers hoping to make some cash picking in the orchards.

Te Puke is also the home of Royal Business College, self-described as one of the “largest and most respected colleges in New Zealand”.

With four campuses across New Zealand, its Te Puke campus was the most intriguing. The Wireless headed there last month and found there wasn’t much to see.

The Royal Business College campus is located in an industrial block, with a train track a couple hundred metres from its front door. The outside is unassuming with a couple broken chairs and narrow door.

Royal Business College, Te Puke

Photo: Mava Enoka

At lunch time, a stream of young Indian boys came out of the building. Surprisingly, there are no other ethnicities and very few women. Some get into their cars and drive to the local McDonalds while others hang around the parking lot. One student says he was paying $12,000 for a business course in Wellington but moved to Te Puke when he was offered his second year for just $7,000. He said it was a cheaper place to live and easier to find a job.

All the students we spoke to worked on Kiwifruit orchards.

While the website says the campus “provides the ideal learning environment for our Diploma courses in Horticulture,” staff at Royal Business College say they are currently only offering business courses in Te Puke. They wouldn’t let us inside but encouraged us to call the owner, Jimmy Royal. He did not return our requests to talk.

Chairs outside Royal Business College, Te Puke

Photo: Mava Moayyed

The attraction of PTEs is clear: At universities, international students can expect to pay about three times more than domestic students. In India Renjith Narayan, 21, forked out $72,000 for an 18 month masters course at the University of Auckland. It’s no surprise, then, that many hunt for cheaper alternatives.

In New Zealand, PTEs offer courses in almost everything. A course can cost a smidgen of the price of a university degree. There are over 500 PTEs in New Zealand but only about 250 of them are licensed to enrol international students and most of them in central Auckland.

At lunch time, Queen Street starts to resemble the malls in India. Hundreds of young Indians, mostly boys, gather in groups outside their PTEs dressed in distinctly western fashion. Many order fast food and drag on cigarettes. According to information released under the Official Information Act, about 50 education providers have a visa decline rate over 30 percent. This includes popular PTEs like National Technology InstituteRoyal Business, and Newton College of Business & Technology.

Please follow and like us:

Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships


CWIT enables Indians in the early to mid stages of their careers to spend time in the UK, helping them to achieve artistic, academic and professional ambitions and to broaden their international contacts.

Who was Charles Wallace?

Charles Wallace was born in Calcutta in 1855. He lived, worked and flourished there, founding the Shaw Wallace company (though there are no connections now between CWIT and Shaw Wallace).

Charles Wallace died in 1916, bequeathing his modest fortune to his family for a generation and then for the benefit of those among whom he had made it.

About CWIT

In 1981, following an agreement between the Indian and British governments, CWIT was established as an English charity. It is run by four trustees. The trustees cover CWIT’s main areas of interest and are Dr Yasmin Khan, Caroline Douglas,Gregor Stark, and Cathy Stephens. The Secretary is Richard Alford.

In over 30 years CWIT has made around 2700 grants. British Council India advises on CWIT’s work and gives valuable administrative support including guidance on applying for a visa.

CWIT’s recent annual reports and accounts, including lists of scholarships and grants given, can be seen on the Charity Commission’s website

Please note: The London School of Performing Arts (LISPA) has now moved its courses to Berlin hence CWIT will no longer offer scholarships to attend them. We have agreed to reconsider if LISPA move their course back to London.


While the British Council will facilitate and advise, the cost of the visa must be borne by the applicant.

In this section

Students in a discussion

Artists residencies

CWIT supports artists residencies at Gasworks in London and at Spike Island in Bristol.

Student in a computer lab

Long term

Awards generally from 2–3 months to a maximum of one year, covering accommodation, living costs in the UK, fees and a contribution to international fares.

Student studying

Short research and professional visits

CWIT supports short research and professional visits to the UK of up to three weeks with a contribution towards in-UK costs.

Two students in a library

Visiting fellowships

Fellowships of 2-3 months at specific host institutions (living costs and contribution to international fares)

Museology – Curating, Museum Conservation or Archaeology

CWIT supports placements in museology, archaeology, curating or conservation at the Victoria and Albert Museum or other agreed institutions.

 2464  107  7743
Please follow and like us:

Why Study in Spain?

study in spain

Every year thousands of students from across the world make their way to Spain to attend one of the 74 universities located in the country. They come to the country for many reasons, all understanding that studying in the country is a truly enlightening experience that leaves you filled with new attitudes and concepts about life. Spain is rich in history and culture, and provides the total package for anyone coming to the area from international lands. Here we will examine some of the many reasons that people choose Spain as their education destination. Perhaps you share a few of these common desires.

A Great Educational System

Spain has a great opportunity to learn no matter what your major might be and no matter which college you have selected for your studies. The educational system is well organized and properly executed, designed to provide students of all levels with the utmost of learning opportunities. Spain is the third most popular country for international studies with around 36% of those people from the USA.  When you study in Spain you can be confident that you will be provided with the best possible education for your time.

Experience the Country

When you think of Spain you probably think of Madrid and Barcelona. While these two cities are beautiful and certainly hot tourist attractions, Spain has so much more to offer the visitor that these two cities. The beautiful countryside of Spain is marvelous and you are certain to enjoy being able to see miles and miles of lush trees and greeneries. Travel to another area of the country and you’ll find yourself amidst the most beautiful coastline you will ever see. Spain has it all, and as a student there will be plenty of time for you to travel and explore and see all of these amazing things.

Have Fun

No matter where you are at in Spain there is always plenty for you to see and do. And, with Paris and London nearby, a great day trip is always something that can easily be planned. Art galleries, museums, clubs, bars and pubs, parks and nature –you name it, you can find it available to entertain your time in Spain. When you’re not busy in class or completing homework you can get out and enjoy so much of the adventure that Spain has to offer. It is then that your time in Spain can be considered time well spent.

Learn a New Language

It may not be your intended reason for coming to Spain, however there isn’t a question that you will learn a great deal of the Spanish language while you are studying, and a beautiful language it is! Spanish is the second most commonly spoken language in the world, just behind English. Imagine how fun it will be to learn a new language…and there is no better way to learn that language than while you are among those who speak it frequently. As you attend university in Spain you will be around those speaking the language so before you know it you will also be speaking it naturally.

Affordable Costs of Living

The costs of living in Spain are very affordable when compared to other countries in Europe. This is always important, especially to a college student already strapped for cash. No matter where you live in Spain you can make it an affordable venture but when you are careful in your selections you can ensure this even more so.

Wonderful Climate

Spain has four seasons, with each of those seasons providing delightful weather. The average temperature in the winter is 59 degrees, a most comfortable and enjoyable temperature. In the summer the average temperature is 70 degrees, also pleasant. The climate in which you will be treated to while in Spain will slightly differ depending upon your location in the country.

Affordable Tuition Rates

In addition to affordable costs of living, attending school in Spain enables you to attain an affordable tuition rate at any of the wonderful higher learning institutes in the country. Tuition at some colleges cost as little as 5,500 Euros per semester while others cost upwards of 12,000 Euros per semester, still far less than colleges and universities in other European countries, as well as the U.S.

Laid Back Atmosphere

Of course Madrid and Barcelona are thriving, busy and popular tourists spots, but even still these cities, as well as most others in Spain, enjoy a  comfortable, laid back atmosphere.  The country is peaceful and friendly, and you are likely to make new friends with most everyone that you meet.

These are certainly great reasons that you should study in Spain, but please know these are just the beginning of the many great things that you will love about studying in the country.

Please follow and like us:

German Higher Education Entrance Qualification

german in education

If you ever planned beginning your higher education studies in Germany, you must unquestionably be aware that holding the appropriate entitlement to qualify you to do so, is one of the key requirements for a successful application and studying in any German higher education institution. “Hochschulzugangsberechtigung” or the University Entrance Qualification, indicating the fact that the earlier education qualifies you to enter higher education studies in Germany, is the entitlement needed to possess when ready to apply for entering higher education studies in Germany. Despite the importance that this University Entrance Qualification has, anyhow, you must never ignore the fact that there are a number of other requirements of admission, you must put into consideration correspondingly when deciding to apply in any higher education in Germany.

High school graduates, following the end of their studies in a German school, in the country or abroad, receive an entitling certificate to enter higher education studies known as “Abitur”. The German Abitur is a qualification obtained at the upper Gymnasium level “Gymnasiale Obersufe” after 12 or 13 years of school education in a German school, authorizing the holder to study any subject at any higher education institution in Germany.

As Germany is one of the key attracting countries for many international students for pursuing higher education studies, the question is – what about those who did not have a German Abitur? Which is the way for their earlier education to be evaluated and to be harmonized with a German Abitur?

In such case, everyone who does not have a German Abitur, must necessarily have an entitlement that corresponds to the German Abitur level. In some cases, this entitlement can be a recognized foreign school-leaving certificate and sometimes a university entrance qualification examination. However, the rule is all-inclusive; everyone who wants to enter higher education studies in Germany must have a Higher Education Entrance Qualification.  As for those who do not possess a German Abitur but their education is recognized in Germany, in order for their application for admission to be considered complete, providing evidence about their earlier education being equivalent to the German Abitur is a compulsion.

Furthermore, every country has its own specific school-leaving certificates and so, not all of them can be equal to a German Abitur and some foreign school-leaving certificates are not recognized or partially recognized in Germany. In such case, a foundation course at “Studienkollegs” that leads to the University Entrance Qualification Examination is what an international – whose earlier education is not recognized in Germany needs, in order to make its earlier education recognized for entering higher education studies in Germany.

Categories of entitlements for entering higher education studies in Germany

Depending on the earlier education of the candidate, there are few categories of recognition or entitlements that qualify a candidate to apply for and enter higher education studies in Germany, as follows:

Direct entitlement

The candidate holding a direct entitlement is authorized to directly apply for the university admission and study in any higher education institution in Germany.

Indirect entitlement

Indirect entitlement is given  to the candidates whose earlier education does not directly qualify them to apply for the university admission. This category of candidates needs to enroll in a year preparatory course at Studienkolleg and must pass the University Entrance Qualification Exam. If successfully passing this exam, the candidate might have a direct or subject-specific university application.

General entitlement

A general entitlement holder enjoys the sufficient authority to apply for admission in any study subject in any chosen higher education institution in Germany.

Subject-specific entitlement

Holding a subject-specific entitlement the candidate can only apply and study in specific university study fields, as its earlier education received in home country, or exams it passed define subject areas that the candidate is proficient to study at.

There are five categories of subject areas recognized in Germany:

  • Technical and scientific subjects (T),
  • Social and Economic Sciences (W),
  • Medicine and Biology or related subjects (M),
  • Humanities and languages (G and S, at times combined as G/S).

How can I know if my secondary school leaving certificate is or is not sufficient

As previously mentioned, not all secondary school-leaving certificates are acknowledged in Germany, and as a result, not every person who possesses such certification – received by home country secondary schools, can be automatically considered an eligible candidate to apply for admission in a higher education institution in Germany. Accordingly, the country where the candidate has received a secondary school leaving certificate has a significant role as regards of foreign education recognition in Germany.

Candidates who received a school-leaving certificate from an institution in the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, typically their certificates are automatically recognized in Germany.

As well, for candidates who finished their secondary education in one of 140 German schools abroad, their education will be automatically similarly recognized.

In any case, differentiating information about your school-leaving certificate being sufficient or not for entering higher education studies in Germany it is not that simple. And so, the best way for the candidate to answer to such important question, is by consulting very resourceful databases on the subject of foreign certificates recognition in Germany – the Anabin database and DAAD’s Database, and most importantly, the International Office of the University where you want to apply – being the final authority to decide on the recognition of your earlier education, as well as to offer additional guidance.

The DAAD Database

The  DAAD Database for Entrance Qualification is a resourceful database with information regarding foreign education certificates recognition in Germany. By selecting the country where you obtained your school-leaving certificate within the database, you might get a lot of specific information about the level of recognition of your education.

The Anabin Database

The Anabin Database is another very reliable free online tool/database for you and all foreign candidates who seeks to enter higher education studies in Germany – for understanding if German Education System recognizes your foreign education certificates and authorities.

This database, by possessing a country-specific searching options, allows you to get specific information about recognition of your earlier education certificate received in your home or other foreign country. Moreover, the database provides additional guidance about what are the further requirements for making your earlier education recognized in Germany. The Anabin database offers information that is exclusively in German language.

The International Office of the University

Despite the fact that Anabin and DAAD’s database are very practical and reliable channels of information about foreign education recognition in Germany, the International Office of the University is another important address where you can and must get the definite information from as respects of the question you have if your earlier education certificates are recognized or not for entering higher education studies in Germany.

Write an e-mail to the international office of the university where you want to pursue your studies at (typically contacts of such office are found in the contact section of the official university webpage), requiring the information concerning the recognition of your earlier education received abroad and further advices in case of insufficiency of your education.

The University will inform you if your education is recognized and the category of recognition and will guide about all the requirements needed to put consideration to make you an eligible candidate for admission in any higher education institution in Germany.

Keep in mind that is the university’s responsibility to conclusively decide regarding the candidate’s earlier education recognition.

If secondary school leaving certificate is not sufficient

Assuming your secondary school-leaving certificate does not fulfill the requirements for university admission in Germany, or is not equivalent to a German Abitur – there is no need to get disappointed, since there is a chance for you to get an alternative document, as a substitute of a German Abitur. This document can be taken after you successfully prove passing the University Qualification Assessment Exam, known as “Feststellungsprüfung”.

How to undergo the University Qualification Assessment Exam

The University Qualification Assessment Exam “Feststellungsprüfung” is a formal exam dedicated to all foreign candidates who seek to enter higher education studies in Germany, whose secondary school-leaving certificate is not equivalent to a German Abitur.

If successfully passing this exam, you are considered an eligible candidate to apply for admission into any German higher education institution, equal to other German Abitur holders.

This exam, as it is very demanding, typically requires a full participation of the candidate in lessons of the university preparatory / foundation course at the “Studienkolleg”, lasting two semesters – an academic year, offering subject-related knowledge. Also, there is a possibility for the candidate to prepare for the Assesement Exam on its own by registering as an external candidate, but a prior consultation with the university or Studienkolleg is highly recommended.

In case of failing the Assessment Exam at the first time, there is only one more that you are allowed to undergo the exam and  only after 6 months of the first exam, the earliest.

There are few elements that you and any foreign candidate must pay attention to, when seeking to undergo the Assessment Exam, as following:

Must enroll in a Foundation Course (Studienkolleg)

In order to undergo the Assessment Exam “Feststellungsprüfung” typically (not compulsory, but highly recommended) you need to be enrolled in a one year (2 semesters – an academic year) preparatory course / foundation course –“Studienkolleg”.

Studienkollegs can be found in few universities and colleges and there is no tuition fee applying to enroll in such course, however, there are symbolic semester fees that need to be covered by the candidate. The semester costs can vary, depending on the university semester rules and regulations.

There are different specialized Studienkollegs offered, such as:

  • M-coursededicated to medical, biological and pharmaceutical degrees,
  • T-course dedicated to mathematical, scientific or technical degrees,
  • W-course dedicated to business, economic and social science degrees,
  • G-coursededicated to humanities degrees or German studies,
  • S-coursededicated to language degrees.

Must undergo the Studienkolleg Entrance Exam (Aufnahmetest)

To become part of a foundation course at a Studienkolleg, the candidate must pass the Studienkolleg Entrance Exam or “Aufnahmetest” – in order to demonstrate possessing the needed German language proficiency and sufficient basic knowledge in the subjects in which the lessons of Studienkolleg will be offered.

There are two categories of Aufnahmetest, depending on the level of recognition of your school-leaving certificate, as well as on the field of study you are seeking to get admission at. Accordingly, if you are about to study technology, you will need to undergo T-Entrance Exam (for lessons in German, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Informatics, Technology, English and Technical Drawing), while if you are about to study business or social sciences you will need to undergo W-Entrance Exam (Lessons in German, Mathematics, Economics, Accounting, Informatics, Social Studies and English).

Each of the tests lasts 60 minutes and in case of failing the Studienkolleg Entrance Exam at the first try, there is a given opportunity for you to repeat it two more times.

See: Studienkolleg Entrance Exam sample

Must proof German language proficiency

To become part of a Studienkolleg, the candidate must proof possessing the needed German language proficiency – the upper Basic Level of the Goethe Institutes or B1 Level – according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

Learn more about the accepted forms to prove German language proficiency.

How to apply for a Studienkolleg

When deciding to apply for a Studienkolleg, you must firstly chose a Studienkolleg and check for the admission requirements and deadlines. Anyhow, some Studienkollegs require from the candidate to directly apply in their address, while some require to do the application through the online portal of the University Application Service for International Students in Germany, called the Uni-Assist.

An important thing to know when deciding to apply for a Studienkolleg is that you cannot start, by any occasion, a Studienkolleg without successfully passing the Studienkolleg Entrance Exam.  As well, keep in mind that Studinkollegs do not cover all the courses and are not offered by all universities.

Please follow and like us:

5 Ways Study Abroad Help Students To Grow In Their Career

student career

International education always provide an edge to students who want to be successful in their career. It opens so many doors on the professional front and prepare students to overcome the hardships of life. Here are 5 ways study abroad help students to grow in their career:

1) Study abroad looks good on resume:5 Ways Study Abroad Help Students To Grow In Their Career

Who doesn’t want a catchy resume! Students can use it as an advantage by putting the experience of international education. Firstly, it will make a deep impression on the employer. Moreover, you can share your experiences to start a good conversation.

2) It shows your willingness to adapt:

Study abroad shows that you are open minded and have the ability to adapt in other cultures easily. Potential employers demands employers who can adapt according to any situation which is a plus point as an experience of living abroad helps you in fulfilling this criteria.

Common Misconceptions Among Students On Studying Abroad

3) It’s a great way to highlight your language skills:5 Ways Study Abroad Help Students To Grow In Their Career

Language barrier is the one of the major things which international students overcome while studying abroad. It’s always better to know a second language which is an additional benefit for graduates. Firstly, it shows that you have adapted yourself according to the accents, slang and have enhanced your listening skills.

4) It makes you determined and independent:

5 Ways Study Abroad Help Students To Grow In Their Career

When we study abroad, we travel to another country, adapt to the new way of life, gain an understanding from international education and most importantly, we do everything by our own. This shows confidence, willpower and independence which are fantastic qualities employers look for. Moreover, if students are mature enough to study abroad then they are mature enough to enter the professional world.

5) Somehow, it makes a connection:

5 Ways Study Abroad Help Students To Grow In Their Career

Study abroad will certainly help you to bring experienced and successful people in your life. International Universities and Colleges are full of people who wants to succeed in their life and have the willingness to share their experiences with you. Surprisingly, you will meet a lot of people during internships or part time jobs which could help you to land a good job.

Ankush Verma
I mostly write on education related topics specially abroad education because of my too much interest in foreign universities and their teaching style. Besides a blog writer, I enjoy eating, hanging out with friends and night out parties.
Please follow and like us: