Here are the latest tips, guidelines & feedback for Canadian Study Visa from Canadian High Commission:

1)  If student belongs to Punjab, Hyderabad or other high risk states then they must submit backlogs summary and it should be genuine not manipulated because Canadian High Commission has PDF software to find out whether it is genuine or manipulated.

2)  We strongly recommend that please do not select Payroll, Finance, Taxation and Accounting program because Canadian High commission believes that all these programs are more oriented towards Canadian employer and market not useful for Indian employer.

3)  Canadian High Commission emphasize on all Technology program like IT, Biotechnology, Environment, Sustainable Energy, Power, Mechanical, Civil, Electrical and all engineering programs. Because all these programs have global opportunities to work in Canada as well as in India.

4)  If student has completed Master degree and/or having 4 to 5 years experience then we strongly advise to apply for Master Degree program and not PG diploma program otherwise they are likely to be refused. They can still apply under SPP and decision of application depend on the visa officer. Moreover, they can also apply for special value added program which is not easily available in India.
Generally, The Visa officer reads program curriculum before taking decision in application.

5)  We are advising you for GIC account with Scotia Bank and ICICI bank (newly added). We strongly recommend to open GIC account with Scotia Bank because ICICI bank has limited branches in Canada like Brampton, Mississauga, Scarborough, Downtown, Calgary, and Surrey- Vancouver. If you want to use ICICI Bank for GIC account then select only the above mentioned cities’ colleges for opening GIC account with ICICI otherwise student may face problem to contact ICICI bank to activate GIC account in Canada. You can use ICICI bank GIC for Centennial, George Brown, Sheridan, Bow valley, SAIT, Douglas, Langara, Vancouver Community College, Fairleigh Dickinson University-Vancouver Campus, NYIT – Vancouver campus, Capilano University, British Columbia Institute of Technology, etc.

6)  We strongly recommend do not choose Project Management program as fresh engineering graduate until you have 2 to 3 years Project level experience.

7)  Please mentioned previous refusal details (USA, Canada and other countries) in Visa form. If applicable

8)  SPP VISA approval rate is lowest in compare to other 10 countries. Just because Visa applications were not appropriate especially with regards to the SPP Norms. It is just 60 % whether other countries has 70 to 80 % approval rate.

9)  Online application is better than paper based application but still student can apply paper visa application.
If student is applying paper visa application, student must follow SPP check list to submit documents and application forms properly.

10)  12th High school student must have minimum 55% in core subjects.
Visa priority will be given for fresh application with good academic background.

11)  Process time of application depends on visa office and/or Visa officer. (15 to 25 days.)
It is strongly recommend that you submit your application at least 2 to 3 months ahead of your proposed date of travel. Applications that are received after 01 April for May entry, after 01 August for September entry and after 01 December for January entry will not normally be processed in time for the start of classes and will likely to be refused.

12)  If student is applying under Non SPP then they need to submit visa application before July for September Intake. It is advisable. NON SPP Documents check list are different from SPP Documents checklist.

13)  Candidates who are applying for Technical or PG program should have 60 % in core subjects and program involving with customer interaction will increase visa chance.
Programs related to Business or accounting – Marks in English, Math, and Statistics & Accounting should be more than 60 %.
60% marks will be viewed as base marks and preference will be given to students with higher score.

14)  Recommended IELTS requirement for PG, Fast-Track and program related to direct public dealing is 6.5 overall not less than 6.0.
Though as per the CIC website 6.0 not less than 5.5 is indicated as IELTS score, first priority will be given to students with a higher IELTS score.

15)  Do not choose 2 Years Business Accounting, Payroll, Taxation and Finance as these programs are losing out on Job opportunities in the corporate world and since students completing these 2 year programs end up in with work in Petrol pumps, Malls, Corner stores, these programs are not being viewed as Skill enhancement programs.

16)  Please do not hide any semester / fail mark sheets from CIC as they will assume that you are hiding information and it may cause in to refusal.

17)  Gaps after studies should not be more than 2 years for undergraduate students and not more than 5 years for Graduates. Only those students who have relevant work experience to the program applied will be given priority.
To fill GAP after study application accompanied with an Appointment Letter / Salary slip / Letter from previous Employer indicating start and end date with nature of duties / job. Experience letter must be signed by authority with full name and designation. All matter should be on company letter head with complete address and contact details. In addition you can keep Business Card of signing authority. It is strongly advisable to submit last 2 years IT return and/or Form No.16 and last 6 months Bank salary statement.

18)  10+3 and 10+2+3 year’s education (Diploma) pattern 3 to 4 backlogs acceptable and 10+2+4 (B. Pharmacy, All Bachelor of Engineering etc. ) or more years education pattern 6 to 8 back logs acceptable but failure in core subjects, more than 2 attempts in same subject and more than 5 backlogs will be viewed negatively.

19)  Pharmacy Technician program is comply with criteria from the CCAPP (Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs), students applying for the Pharmacy Technician Diploma program will now need to demonstrate overall 6.5 band not less than 6.0 Band in IELTS.
Application with more than 8 backlogs will be considered as NON – SPP application same thing is applicable if there is more than 5 years of GAP and there are more chances to get refusal for these kind of profile.

20)  Applicants who did not completed their study on time (i. e; Taken 5 years to complete 4 years program) are most likely to be refused.
Applicants who studied from UK, AUS or NZ may apply for program in Canada with good IELTS score (i. e; 6.5 overall or above) and they should have successfully completed their study. Normally, these kind of profile are likely to be refused.

21)   Under “Other Reasons” on the refusal letter, you will often see the following comment, “Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of your qualifications, previous studies, employment, level of establishment, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans”. As CIC do not have the resources and therefore the time to customize each and every refusal letter, this template response indicates one of the following:
Missing semester mark sheets
Graduating from a program in duration longer than length of the program (i.e. 5 years for a 4 year program).
Backlogs are in courses that are critical to their success in the Canada
Program of study is not complementary to their previous studies
Concerns about gaps between graduation and employment have not been satisfied as a result of the lack of letters of employment, appointment letters and last pay stub.
A former UK or Australian graduate scores below 7.0 bands (minimum) on their IELTS test or other applicants have too many bands of 5.5 for a Post Graduate program.

For any query related to Canada Student Visa or any prior rejection cases kindly contact us on…

Email us: vaatsalyaeducation@gmail.com
Or Call us on +91-8980883308/88
Our Website: www.vatslya.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vatslyaedu/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeZ6hnyjbUrmxP6c9TNTzw

Please follow and like us:

Study in Canada– Know all about studying in Canada

study in canada

Well known for its high quality standard of life and multi-cultural communities, Canada has emerged as one of the most sought after study destinations for interntaional students pursuing higher education abroad. Currently, there are over 2,60,000 interntaional students studying in the country.

Here, we have presented some of the frequently asked questions by aspirants who want to pursue a degree from a Canadian university.


Q: What are the top universities in Canada?

A: Canada is renowned for its high quality education and research worldwide and attracts a major chunk of international students to its universities.

Here, we have listed the top 10 universities in Canada as per three major ranking platforms. They are Times Higher Education (THE), QS and ARWU.

Institute THE QS ARWU
University of Toronto 20 20 24
University of British Columbia 32 43 37
McGill University 39 21 67
McMaster University 94 113 90
University of Montreal 113 83 101-150
University of Alberta 124 84 101-150
University of Victoria 173 290 201-300
University of Waterloo 251-275 169 201-300
University of Ottawa 188 218 201-300
University of Calgary 226-250 171 151-200

Q: How to get admission in a Canadian university?

A: The Canadian admission season usually starts in September. However, some programmes are also open for admission in July and May. For schools, which accept students in September, deadlines range from the fall to winter. Also, there are no entrance tests at the undergraduate level and a student’s admission is based on his/ her academic performance throughout school as well as in 11 and 12th standard.

Admissions to some Canadian universities are also accepted through OUAC i.e., the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre. The OUAC is a common application platform for mainly undergraduate courses but it also accepts graduate and professional applications.

Q: What are popular courses in Canada?

A: Among international students, Canada is most popular for its management and computer science courses. Subjects like Life Sciences, Journalism, Hotel Management, Fashion Designing, Animation, environmental sciences are also gaining popularity.

Q: What are the major scholarships for international students in Canada?

A:There are a few Canadian universities which provide scholarships specifically for international students. Some of the major scholarships are:

  1. Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Programme: The Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship programme offers opportunities to students who want to explore study as well as research opportunities in  Canada. The scholarship is funded by the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT). Under this programme, Graduate Students Exchanges are hosted by Canadian institutions for a period of five or six months. The scholarship covers tuition fee, living expenses as well as sundry expenses of the students.
  2. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships: Funded by three major agencies- Canadian Institutes for Health Research, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, the  Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is aimed at attracting high quality research personnel to Canada. Up to 167 Vanier Canada Graduate scholarships are awarded annually. Under this scheme, the stipend is paid for 3 years and scholars are awarded $50,000 per year.
  3. Mitacs Elevate: The Mitacs Elevate is basically a training programme for postdoctoral students to undertake industry related research work. Fellows are paid $115,000 research award for over two years in the programme. Besides, the scheme also offers top-tier R&D management training worth $15,000 for the fellows. In addition to their research project, fellows spend from one to two days per month participating in training activities.
  4. CIFAR Global Scholars: This scholarship is meant for students who have completed their PhD and are looking to explore advanced research opportunities in their area of study. The scholars are given the opportunity to collaborate with researchers across the world in Canada. The fellowship is offered for 2 years and scholars are paid $70,000 as annual stipend. Besides, scholars are also given health benefits as well as $5000 as additional research support.

Q: What is the cost of education in Canada?

A: While the cost of education depends on the institute you are applying tothe average tuition fee is around $8000 to $25000 annually.


Q: How to get Canadian student visa?

A: You need a study permit to pursue your education Canada gives you the right to remain in the country for the duration of the permit i.e., one to 4 years. It takes at least 2-3 months to process a study permit. Hence, it is advisable that you apply for it well in advance. The course duration should be more than 6 months. One of the basic requirements is that your course should be more than 6 months. You need not apply for a study permit if the duration of your course is less than 6 months. Also, your university should be a designated learning institution in Canada. The basic requirements for a study permit are the Letter of Acceptance and proof of funds.

Q: What are the work-after study opportunities in Canada?

A: International students are allowed to work upto to 20 hours a weel during their study in Canada. Students are also allowed to work full-time during summer breaks. After graduation, students can become eligible to apply for permanent immigration under the Canada Experience Class (CEC) program.

Please follow and like us:

Work in Canada during and after your studies

work and study in canada

Working while you study in Canada

You and your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to work temporarily in Canada while you study. You may also be able to gain Canadian work experience after you graduate.

Working on campus

If you have a valid study permit, you may be able to work on the campus of the institution you attend without a work permit. You can work for the institution itself, or for a private business located on the campus.

To do this, you must be a full-time student at a public university, a community college, a collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP), a publicly funded trade or technical school or a private institution authorized to confer degrees.

Working off campus

To work off campus, you must have a work permit. Through the Off-Campus Work Permit Program, you can work part-time during regular academic sessions (20 hours per week) and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as winter and summer holidays, and spring break. You can work in any occupation, and you can change employers whenever you like.

To qualify for the program, you must have a valid study permit and be a full-time student at a recognized postsecondary educational institution. Recognized institutions generally include a public, post-secondary college or university, a CEGEP in Quebec and degree-granting programs offered by private institutions.

For a list of participating institutions in the Off-Campus Work Permit Program, visit www.cic.gc.ca/institutions. Check with your institution to make sure the program that you choose is eligible.

Co-op and internship programs

If you are in a program with a work experience component, such as a co-op or internship placement, you will need a work permit as well as a study permit.

To get a work permit, you must prove that the work experience is essential to completing your program. Acceptable proof could include a letter from the school you are attending or a copy of the school curriculum.

The work experience cannot be more than 50% of your total program of study.

Working after graduation

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows you to gain valuable Canadian work experience after you have completed your studies in Canada. This can help you apply to become a permanent resident of Canada.

To qualify, you must have graduated from a public or private institution that grants degrees recognized by the province or territory. These institutions may include a university, college or CEGEP.

Work permits under this program are valid for the length of your study program, up to a maximum of three years. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for eight months.

You must apply for a post-graduation work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from your educational institution that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program.

With this permit, you can work in any occupation and change employers anytime you wish.

Work permits for spouses of students

If you are a full-time student at a recognized post-secondary institution, and you have a valid study permit, your spouse or common-law partner can apply for a permit to work in Canada. As long as they have a work permit, they can work in any occupation and change jobs at any time.

These permits are valid for the same period of time as your study permit.

Who can get a work permit as spouse or common-law partner of a student?

Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for an open work permit if you:

  • are a full-time student at a:
    • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • private college-level school in Quebec or
    • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree) and
  • have a valid study permit.

How long is the open work permit valid for?

The work permit for your spouse or common-law partner is valid for the same period of time as your study permit.

How to apply

There are two ways you can apply for a spouse or common-law partner work permit:

Apply online

To apply online you must have:

  • access to a scanner or digital camera to make electronic copies of your documents for uploading and
  • a valid credit card to pay with.

Apply on paper

1. Get the application package
The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out.

Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. We do not refund the fee for processing your application. Make sure you are eligible for a work permit before you apply.

Photocopy the blank forms and use one as a working copy. Keep the working copy for your records.

Download and print the application package.

2. Complete application and attach documents
The application form has instructions. Read them and be sure to give us all the documents asked for. If information or documents are missing, it may delay your application. The document checklist in the application package lists all documents to include.

Answer all questions carefully, completely and truthfully. We will not process incomplete applications. We will return them to you. This will delay the application process.

3. Submit your application
The application package contains the mailing address where you must send your application.


Please follow and like us:

Moving to Canada: 5 Jobs You Can Start Right Away

study in canada

Packing in your job and relocating to Canada can be a daunting experience, especially in terms of your finances. People often speak about that awkward phase between moving and landing a job in a new country. But what if I tell you there are a number of jobs you can start almost instantly when you land in Canada? Online jobs are perfect for those relocating because you can continue to work around your hectic lifestyle, and you can bridge the gap between your old and new home countries. Whether you are looking for a side hustle, something to pay the bills before finding a full-time job, or want to make this your full-time job in Canada, take a look at these five jobs for instant money making career inspiration! 

1.  Ecommerce Entrepreneur

Moving to Canada is a great opportunity to launch yourself into something new. Ecommerce is a great way to make money online and if you play your cards right, you can turn your online store into a successful full-time job and thriving business. Canada is a hotspot for startups because it encourages new businesses to thrive, and there are loads of useful grants and resources to give you a good kickstart to Canadian entrepreneurial life.

Spend time on product research before making the move to Canada. Look for products that are high in demand and low in competition to ensure you start making sales immediately. Selling to customers in Canada and the neighboring USA will be relatively easy, and these markets could be enough to get your brand established — but beware of varying levels of sales tax in US states.

And you don’t need a load of cash to start an ecommerce store: these days, anyone is able to launch a store online within a few days. Just make sure your product idea and branding are 100% customer proof. Canadian online store builders are popular and can take lots of the stress out of creating a website, ensuring you have a finished product that’s fit for the Canadian market.  Work from home, rent an office space, or go explore downtown co-working — ecommerce is flexible, and you can build an income on the side before taking the plunge.

Ensure that you have read and understood the legal requirements for selling online in Canada, especially if you are moving from the UK. Take a look at this helpful guide to ensure your online store complies with legal regulations for ecommerce.

2.  Digital Freelancer

If you have a talent for writing and want to turn this passion into a career, then freelance work might be a good option when moving to Canada. The same goes for anyone with talents in web design, development,  SEO, marketing , social media etc. The Canadian online marketplace is booming, and many expats have made their name as top digital consultants and freelancers. If you are good at what you do, you can quickly adapt your skillset to Canada.

Join Canada-specific social media groups and advertise your skills to build a client base. Even a few simple LinkedIn posts and interactions can help put your name in front of the right people, but don’t expect miracles either. Building up a network takes time.

Digital work means that you can only accept the work offers you’re interested in, without taking on jobs that you don’t particularly want to get involved with. Learn how to price yourself well (high enough to be taken seriously, low enough to build up clients fast).

In a hurry? Sign up to freelance websites to get your name out there. This can be done before your move to Canada to give yourself time to become an established digital freelancer.

3.  Virtual Assistant

This is another great way to begin working straightaway when moving to Canada. The Internet is littered with job advertisements searching for a virtual assistants. Virtual assistant roles vary, from simple admin tasks to tricky web development. This is a job that anyone can do, no matter what skills you have to offer — just be reliable and win people over with your punctuality and organisation.  VA roles can be hugely rewarding and demanding — it’s not all boring donkey work!

Virtual assistant jobs suit those that are relocating to a different country because it’s something you can pre-organize before jetting off. If all goes to plan, you should be able to start working within the first couple of weeks of your move.  As it’s a form of remote work, it doesn’t matter where in the world you are.

4.  Blogger

With your new found experience of relocating to a different country, why not start a blog and write about your experience? Other people will appreciate the advice from someone who has experienced moving to Canada, or knows something about life in another country. Blogging can help you generate an income  — some bloggers make a very good living through their blog.

Perhaps you’re a budding chef and want to share your skills with others? Or maybe you’re a dab-hand at making your own clothes and hope to teach others. Even a blog writing about your life and experiences could earn you money! Think carefully about your blogging strategy before you begin so that you can design content that will suit your ideal audience.

Make sure it is something that you really want to write about so you give actionable advice, stick to consistent blogging, and don’t lose interest in what you are blogging about.

5.  Translator

If you are considering a move to Canada, then you probably know that translators are one of the most sought-after job roles in the country. If you are fluent in English and French then you could land yourself a job as a translator, earning up to $52,000 a year on average. Not bad for an immediate start job! Join an agency on arrival, or you could help yourself along by offering your services online. Equally, you could try teaching languages online and make some extra money from home — Skype language learning is a growing industry, and you can share interesting Canadian cultural experiences with your students.

Please follow and like us:

Overview on Education In Canada


Education In Canada

Citizens Education System In Canada:

Canadian children attend kindergarten (pre-nursery education) for one or two years at the age of four or five on a voluntary basis. All children begin Grade One at about six years of age. The School year normally runs from September through the following June but in some instances, January intake dates are possible. Secondary Schools go up to Grades 11 or 12, depending on the province. From there, students may attend University, college or Cégep studies. Cégep is a French acronym for College of General and Vocational Education, and it is two years of general or three years of technical education between high School and University. The province of Québec has the Cégep system.

Post secondary education (Higher Institution in Canada):

Postsecondary education in Canada is available in both Governments supported and private Institutions, which offer Degrees, Masters, Diplomas, Certificates, and attestations which depends on the nature of the Institution and the length of the program for which one is interested in. In Canada, the Postsecondary environment has advanced during the past few years, as Universities are no longer the only degree-awarding Institutions in some jurisdictions. A recognized Post Secondary Institution is a private or a public institution that has been given full authority to award degrees, diplomas, and other credentials by a public or private act of the provincial or territorial legislature or through a Government-mandated quality assurance mechanism.
Degree-granting Institutions in Canada focus on teaching and research. In 2004–05, Canadian Universities performed $8.9 billion worth of research and development, close to 35 percent of the national total.

In Canada, degrees are obtainable at three consecutive levels:

  • Students enter at the bachelor’s level after having completed the Secondary School or the two-year cégep program in Quebec successfully. Most Universities also have special entrance requirements and paths for mature students. Bachelor’s degrees normally require three or four years of full-time study, depending on the province and whether the program is general or specialized.
  • A master’s degree normally requires two years of study after the bachelor’s degree in Canadian universities. This also depends on the course of study.
  • For a doctoral degree, three to five years of additional study and research plus a dissertation are the normal requirements.

Please Note: Canadian universities and colleges are very flexible.

  1. If you want to change programs later, usually you can.
  2. If you want to combine two programs, there are hundreds of possibilities like communication studies and computer science or biology and psychology, or business and economics, usually you can.
  3. If you want to get two degrees at the same time, that is possible too!

Canada World Ranking in education

Canada is now the most educated country in the world, according to a recent report by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).Canada is the only nation where more than half of all adults had a tertiary education (Postsecondary education.) in 2010. After Canada comes Israel ( 45 percent) and Japan ( 44 percent).Other countries in the Top 10 bracket and the percentages of their citizens with Postsecondary education are: United States (41 percent), New Zealand (40 Percent) and South Korea (39 Percent). Norway, United Kingdom, Australia and Finland run neck and neck with 37 percent of their citizens having attained Postsecondary education.

Institutions Count in Canada:

Canada has about 163 recognized (well known)public and private Universities (including theological Schools) and 183 recognized public Colleges and institutes, including those granting applied and bachelor’s degrees.  In addition to the recognized Institutions, there are 68 Universities-level Institutions and 51 college-level ones operating as authorized Institutions, in which only selected programs are approved under provincially established quality assurance programs.

General Admission Process Requirements:

Though admission process and requirements vary from institution to institution in Canada, here we’ll discuss about the most general procedures and requirements to get admission in Canadian universities.
Undergraduate requirements
Undergraduate requirements depend on the type of institution one chooses, this is usually in form of prerequisites and assessments guiding the processes involved in a certain university to offer an academic degree, which varies in different ways depending on if the student is a foreigner or a permanent resident.
For admission in undergraduate level, student must have completed twelve years of academic education, but for postgraduate level it is sixteen years.
Below you can find undergraduate requirements for most Canadian Tertiary Institutions.
All applicants to undergraduate programs must submit:

  • A completed application form;
  • An official high school transcript (or attested copy) (if applicable);
  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (if any);
  • A detailed chronological résumé to demonstrate educational achievements, work experience, progression, community involvement, volunteer experience, and other related experience; and
  • A Letter of Intent (LOI) that clearly explains why the applicant is applying and outlines the student’s academic intentions.

Applicants who completed high school or any post-secondary studies outside Canada must also submit:

  • Documentation confirming their high school completion was awarded, if not already indicated on official transcripts; and
  • Proof of English language proficiency as specified in the “English Language Proficiency” section.


Finally it is important for you to know that major languages used in Canada are English and French. But most of the universities offer courses in English language. So you need to show your efficiency by means of English Language tests. IELTS is most widely recognized and accepted English language test in Canada, however, some universities even accepts TOEFL. The score that you must obtain in these language tests vary from institution to institution and course of study students choose. Some universities even seek for other medium of English language test assessment. For management students, students may be asked for two years of work experience before being admitted to the university. In most of the cases GMAT is compulsory for MBA students.

Graduates Requirements

Graduate requirements depend on the type of institution one chooses, this is usually in form of prerequisites and assessments guiding the processes involved in a certain university to offer an academic Master’s degree or further studies, which varies in different ways depending on if the student is a foreigner or a permanent resident.
Below you can find the general graduate requirements for most institutions.

  • A completed application form;
  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended;
  • Official documentation confirming professional designations, where applicable;
  • Two (2) letters of academic reference attesting to readiness for graduate studies; For those without recent academic experience, letters from employers attesting to management level experience and analytical writing skills will be acceptable;
  • A detailed chronological résumé clearly outlining educational achievements, work experience and progression, and other related experience; and
  • A Letter of Intent (LOI) that clearly explains why the applicant is applying and outlines the student’s academic intentions.

Applicants who completed undergraduate studies outside Canada must also submit:

  • Documentation confirming their degree was awarded, if not already indicated on official transcripts;
  • A credential evaluation from a recognized service confirming equivalency if the applicant submits a credential from an unrecognized institution or if additional analysis is required by the Admissions Committee; and
  • Proof of English language proficiency.

Note: Where transcripts are in a language other than English, the applicant must provide a notarized English translation of the original transcripts from a certified translator or on official letterhead stationery from the secondary school plus an official original transcript from the institution to the UCW Registrar.

scholarship programs in Canada

Canada is committed to participation in international study and research partnerships that build understanding among peoples, develop global citizens and leaders, and contribute to the development of nations.

Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT) is responsible for the Government of Canada’s participation in major International Scholarship Programs. DFAIT provides support to international scholars in Canada, which is often reciprocated by foreign governments which support Canadian scholars in their countries.

Work and Study In Canada

It is possible to work in Canada, while you are here as a student, under any Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC’s) work programs for students. In most cases, you will need to apply for a student work permit. Working in Canada can go a long way towards helping you establish business contacts for the future and can even help you immigrate after graduation.
You may work on campus at the institution where you study without a work permit if you are;

  1. A full-time student at a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, or a collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec.
  2. A full-time student at a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify).
  3. A full-time student at a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees..

Off Campus

You can also work on campus if you have a valid study permit, You can also work off campus but you must have a work permit. The work permit authorizes you to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full time during scheduled breaks (for example, winter and summer holidays, and spring break). A work permit does not guarantee that you will find a job. It is your responsibility to look for work. Even if you work off campus, your studies must be the main reason you are in Canada.

University and College Programs

In Canada, there are more than 11,000 undergraduate and graduate degree programs offered in Universities, as well as professional degree programs and Certificates. Most Institutions provide instruction in either English or French; others offer instruction in both official languages.
In Canada, Colleges and institutes offer a range of vocation-oriented programs in a wide variety of professional and technical fields, including business, health, applied arts, technology, and social services. Some of the Institutions are specialized and provide training in a single field such as fisheries, arts, paramedical technology, and agriculture. Colleges also provide literacy and academic upgrading programs, pre-employment and pre-apprenticeship programs, and the in-class portions of registered apprenticeship programs. As well, many different workshops, short programs, and upgrades for skilled workers and professionals are made available for students.

Guide Lines to Applying for Admission in Canadian Universities

If you want to apply for admission in any Canadian Universities or Colleges! It is advisable you ask yourself these questions;
a.    Have I made the necessary researches I needed to?
b.    Are the people I contacted really professions and would be willing to help me all the way?
c.    Have I selected a course of my choice?
d.    How long is the duration of my course of choice? As many courses may last longer than you expect.
e.    What are the necessary steps to obtaining my Visa or study permit?
f.    Where is Canada Located in the world?
g.    What is the climate (weather) condition of the country
h.    How much do I have in my bank account?
i.    How will I sustain myself when I get there?
j.    What is the type of food they have over there?
k.    What is my source of income?
l.    How can I cope with the standard of education there?
m.    What language do they instruct with?
n.    If my primary language is English, how fluent am I in it?
o.    What is my qualification?
p.    What is my academic assessment?
q.    Where can I get expert advice or counseling on all my dealings?
r.    Have I really decided?
s.    What do I need to know about the country?
t.    How is my country going to assist me in all my processes?
u.    Will my age determine my studies?
v.    What is the cost of living there?
w.    Which institution is the best I can afford?
x.    Do I have attitude problems?
y.    What do I think will be my major challenge when I get there?
z.    And finally how and where do I start now?

If you have answers to the above questions, then you are likely to be on track. Please contact us for the for more information because we are here to guide you through the whole process.

More on Work and study in Canada:

Studying in Canada means you can also work while studying. You can even get a three-year work permit after graduation if you apply for it. The basic fat is that it is not too difficult to become a permanent resident after graduation. If you want, it is also possible to become a Canadian permanent Citiizen as soon as 2 years after your graduation!
You may be able to work on or off campus in Canada while you are there as a student. There may also be limited employment opportunities for graduate students, such as teaching assistantships or research assistantships; if you are studying for a master’s degree or a Ph.D., You may be able to work at your Institution as a teaching or research assistant. You should inquire about this possibility when you apply for admission.

Distance education:

There are many Canadian Universities and Colleges that offer courses and programs online. This is for the advantage of those who would not afford going to Canada for studies or those who would want to acquire extra Knowledge about their chosen profession without having to travel all the way to Canada. If you are not able to go to Canada, you can earn a recognized Canadian degree, diploma, or certificate without leaving home. More information about on-line and distance education is available at Canadian Universities.

Working in Canada after Graduation

If you want to work after completing your studies in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit. The following programs can help facilitate this process for eligible candidates:
The Post-Graduate Work Program
This is the program that allows international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution (University or College) to gain valuable Canadian work experience through a special work permit issued for the length of the study program, up to 3 years.
You will be Eligible if you:

  • Studied full time in Canada.
  • Graduated from a public post-secondary institution, a private post-secondary institution, or a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
  • Studied in a program that was at least 8 months long.
  • Applied for the work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation that you have completed your academic program.
  • Have received notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.
  • Have a valid study permit when you apply.

The Canadian Experience Class
This program allows international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution (University or College) to apply to permanently stay in Canada. In order to qualify, you must already be familiar with Canadian society, be able to communicate in English or French, have qualifying work experience, and also be able to contribute to the Canadian economy.
You will be eligible if you:

  • Plan to live outside of the province of Quebec.
  • Graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least 1 year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada.
  • Gained work experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization.
  • Submitted your application while working in Canada – or – within 1 year of leaving your job in Canada.
  • Have completed an independent language assessment (from an agency designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada)

For more information, contact us.

Please follow and like us:

Canada Student Visa Guide


Canada continues to attract a steady volume of students from India. While getting admission to Top Universities in Canada continues to require excellent academic score, the permission to study is validated by means of a Study Permit. If you wish to take academic, professional or vocational training at a university, college or other educational institution in Canada, you will need a study permit before you enter Canada. This study permit is issued to students when they arrive in Canada. However, to get there, a student must first apply for a Temporary Resident Visa which is provided by the Canadian High Commission and facilitated by the Visa Application Centers. VFS Global Services are the designated VACs for Canadian Visa.

What is the Visa Fee for Canada?

Study permit for Canada costs CAD$ 150, which is roughly equivalent to INR 7,400 (as shared on the CIC Website) as per current exchange rate. Since the exchange rate keeps changing, we would advise you to check the same at the time of your visa application.

Canadian Visa Applications are available both online and offline. As such, the visa processing fees can be made both online (by means of a credit card) or offline (by means of demand draft if paying at the High Commission of Canada) or by cash at the VAC. This fee must be paid when the application is submitted or a fee receipt of online payment provided. The Demand Draft required is to be drawn out in favor of High Commission of Canada in Indian rupees. VACs accept only Cash Payments.

Also, the visa fee mentioned does not include the VAC service charges. You would have to pay the additional service charges as applicable for your region. Also, A receipt will be issued for each payment received.  Please keep the receipt as proof of payment.

Which Documents are required for Canadian Visa?

You should apply for the student visa after you get the college acceptance letter. You should begin with the visa process around June if aiming at the September intake. Following are the documents needed to apply.

1. Valid Passport

You would need a Valid Passport to be able to apply for a Study Permit. As of the Canadian High Commission, it is important that you have a passport which validity that extends to cover the intended stay in Canada. For instance, if you plan to travel to Canada in September 2016 for a two-year course, your passport should be valid until at least September 2018.

2. Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Learning Institution

You would need the acceptance letter from the university/ institute you are planning to attend. A Designated Learning Institute is the University which is recognized by the Immigration Department. (Here’s a list for your reference). In case you are applying for Quebec, you would also need a CAQ which you would be duly notified.

3. Proof of Funds

At the time of application for your Study Permit, you would have to show proof of funds. As per the present standards, you would have to prove that you would have enough funds to pay our tuition fees as well as take care of living expended. The Canadian Immigration deems a student would require at least Canadian $10,000 for every year of your stay. Apart from the above two, the student would also have to prove that he/she has enough funds for a return fair as well.


While filling the application form, you would have to show the proof of fees paid as well as the stipulated cost of living @ CAD 10,000.

4. Passport Size Photographs

If you have opted for offline application, you would need two passport sized photographs that conform to the given standards. For online application, you must procure a digital copy of the photograph which should not be more than 4MB. Other requirements are standard about neutral facial expression, plain background as well as no headgear (unless for religious purposes). Note:

  • Size of the image should be at least 35 mm x 45 mm
  • Image should be recent (not older than 6 months)

5. Immigration Medical Examination (IME)

Canadian Immigration requires international students from India undergo a compulsory Immigration Medical Examination from empanelled doctors. Students would have to book and appointment and visit the listed doctors for a medical examination, preferably a week before they start their Visa Application. This is to give the doctor enough time to validate and upload the necessary documents. Booking an appointment in advance with the nearest facility/ practitioner as per the list of empanelled doctors is always advised.

The panel physician will perform a complete medical exam and may refer you for chest x-rays and laboratory tests. Once your exam has been completed, the physician will send the results to CIC.

6. English Language Proficiency Exam Score

Though not mandatory to have at the time of application, we strongly recommend that you have appeared for and get your English Language Proficiency Score before you start your Visa Application Process. As it is, you would have had to submit your English language proficiency score to confirm your admission to the Canadian University. TOEFL, IELTS, etc. are all acceptable.

7. Statement of Purpose

When applying for a Canadian Study Permit, you would be required to submit an essay stating the purpose of your trip to Canada and why you have chosen the particular institution. This would be prompted as an optional document in the checklist but we strongly recommend that you submit the same.

8. Credit Card

In case you are making an online application, you would also require a credit card to pay the application fee. The Visa Application Fee for Canada is CAD $150. Please remember that the system only accepts credit cards and not debit cards. Also, it is not necessary that it is your credit card. You can use your parent’s cards as well, provided you have the explicit permission to do so.

Apart from the above, if applying online, you would need access to a digital scanner. However, if you are applying offline, you should have true copies of all the above-mentioned documents. It is important to note that while applying online, you would be required to download a few documents, fill them, print them, sign them and then upload them. Accordingly, the availability of the scanner must be arranged. The system also allows you to upload a good quality digital image. We, however, recommend a scanner to a camera.

During the personal interview, additional documents may be requested by the interviewer. These may be documents to prove evidence of academic or financial status. These may include:

  • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended
  • Scores from tests, such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, or GMAT
  • Your intent to depart from Canada upon completion of the course of study
  • How you will pay all educational, living and travel costs

How to Apply for a Canadian Visa for Study

There are several steps to apply for a visa.

  1. Check the processing times – The visa application cycle might take anywhere from 3-4 weeks. It is advisable to go through the Canadian consulate website to know the approximate time taken to process the student visa. Please note that the time shown is not a guarantee and is just an estimate.
  2. Determine how you will apply. There are two ways to apply:
    (a) Apply online
    To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. You will still be required to provide a finger scan at the regional Visa Application Centre (VAC). Remember, in the case of Online Application you need to visit the VFS offices to hand your passports and would have to provide the confirmation of form and fee payment as well. the steps would only vary in terms of documents you need to carry to the VAC.
    (b) Apply in person
    Download the application kit and read the instruction guide. The instruction guide contains important information about study permits and instructions to help you complete your application. Read the guide carefully and use the document checklist.
  3. Fill out the VFS Consent Form and attach it with your application form.  You need this form to get the assistance of VFS services for your visa filing process.
  4. Pay the processing fee – Note that when submitting an application via the VFS, in person or by mail, visa fees must be paid in addition to VFS Global service charges. The processing fee is non-refundable in all cases.
  5. If your spouse/common-law partner and/or children are accompanying you and you are applying for temporary resident visas, work permits or study permits for them, then you will need to pay the appropriate processing fees for them.
  6. Submit your application and supporting documents – You have to visit the nearest VFS office. Once you are there, pay the service charges and hand them your complete application to obtain a receipt. This receipt contains your unique tracking number which you will need to track the progress of your application online.
  7. In case your application is approved you will receive notification from the Government of Canada requesting for your passport. You can submit the passport and passport request letter in person or through VFS. You would be provided with a Temporary Resident Visa and a Letter of Introduction.


Getting the Study Permit

You are required to carry the Letter of Introduction along with all the specified documents to Canada. At the airport, you would be met with an Immigration Officer. Present the Passport and the Letter of Introduction to the border control agency officer who would then validate the same and if found adequate, issue you your Study Permit.


Spouses can accompany full-time students on a Dependent visa. You only need to show that adequate funds are available for their support. Spouses can also work full time if his/her stay is for a year or more.

In some cases, you may apply for an open work permit if you will be accompanying your spouse or common-law partner to Canada. With an open work permit, you may find and accept any job when you get to Canada. You do not need a job offer or a positive labor market impact assessment to apply for your work permit.

Am I allowed to work on a Canadian Study Permit?

You do not need a separate Work Permit to work while studying in Canada. On a valid study permit, you are allowed to work on-campus and off- campus. Off campus, you are allowed to work up to a maximum of 20 hours a week during term. Apart from these, you

  • Must be enrolled as a full-time student with a designated institute of higher learning, and
  • Remain enrolled in an academic, vocational or professional training program that is six months or longer and that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate

Post Study Work Permits for Canada

The eligibility criteria to get a Post Study Work Permit are as follows:

  • You should have pursued a full-time course in Canada.
  • The length of your course should have been more than 8 months.
  • You must have graduated from either a public post-secondary institution or a private post-secondary institution or
  • You should apply for the work permit within three months (90 days) after receiving an official letter saying that you have successfully completed your education from the institute.
  • You will be given the work permit only if you have a student visa.
  • You cannot get a work permit longer than your course duration. If your course duration was eight months, then you will receive a work permit for eight months. If your course duration was more than two years, then you may receive a work permit for three years.

Where to Apply for a Study Permit for Canada

VFS Global manages the Canada Visa Application Centre (CVAC) in India, CVAC is authorized to provide administrative support services, such as; the collection of visa applications, and return of passports in sealed decision envelopes to applicants. CVAC can also assist in scheduling interviews on behalf of the Canada visa office.

Please follow and like us:

Tips for students and immigrants traveling to Canada from India.

study in canada

The first thing to do is block your tickets (this implies no financial commitment). This can be done through travel agents. Make sure the Travel Agent is good and you get the best possible deal.

  • Block flights with many airlines/agencies. Put pressure on the agencies and get as much info as possible. Much before the flight call the airlines themselves and confirm your ticket (from India British Airways and AIR FRANCE offers the best package.Indicate whether you want Asian Vegetarian Meal (AVM), non-smoking section, etc
  • Cross-check everything the travel agent says
  • Avoid change of airline. A direct flight is the best. If change of airline can’t be avoided, leave at least 4-6 hrs gap between the scheduled arrival of one flight and the scheduled departure of the connecting flight.
  • Baggage is usually safe with a single irline – change of airline sometimes leads to misplaced luggage. Some airlines don’t take care of baggage transfer – you may have to personally carry it (check this while booking)


Things to be done in advance

Certain things have to be done in advance, i.e., as soon as you get your aid – much before the flight.

    • Learn driving
    • Learn to cook (or you will have a very bad time)
    • apply for bank loan (if necessary)
    • make your passport valid for 6 months more than your stay indicated in your admit letter make sure your passport is valid for 6 months atleast.
    • make outstation purchases (sweater, thermal underwear, cassettes, etc. – available/cheap in Delhi, Bombay, Ahmedabad, etc)
    • get medical checkup done
      • dental
      • fresh checkup, especially if you have a major ailment
      • Get prescriptions & medicines for all common ailments
      • get your eye-sight checked – get a new prescription. Buy atleast one extra pair of glasses.
      • tested for TB if possible (chest X-ray)
      • get requisite immunization done (especially MMR)
    • get cassettes recorded which you may like to take with you
    • write to UMISA giving your flight #, time & date of arrival; they may pick you up & give temporary accomodation if necessary
    • if you are very interested in any Indian magazine (Gult, Tamil, etc.) subscribe to them – you can subscribe to them after going to the Canada also.
    • note your/parent’s bank A/c #


    • Start your packing well in advance
    • Buy two good boxes – they should be able to withstand a lot of mishandling. They should be as large as possible within the size limitations (however most airlines are not very strict about baggage size). Put identification marks and labels both inside & outside the boxes (apart from this the airlines will also provide you with adhesive labels). Boxes with independent top & bottom are preferable.
    • Box specifications As an example the Air India economy class baggage specifications are given below. Note the specs. may be different for other countries/airlines.
      2 pieces of baggage with total linear dimension (l+b+h) not exceeding 270cm (106inches). Moreover the total linear dimension of each piece should not be over 158cm (62″). The weight of each bag should not exceed 32kg (70lb) [note: they are not particular about this]
    • Carry on baggage : In addition you can carry a bag with linear dimension not exceeding 115cm (45 inches) onboard (fits beneath the seat). For most other airlines the baggage specs are similar (confirm). If you are taking a break outside USA/Canada contact your travel agent or airlines for details.

Things to be kept in the boxes


  • Copy of all certificates/documents (originals in hand baggage)
  • Important apping materials (SOP, reco etc)
  • necessary books/notebooks (some suggested books are – Clark’s Tables, a good dictionary/thesaurus, a booklet for units conversion) [note: there should be no legal hassles taking Photo copies of books – but don’t flaunt them to Americans/Canadian Profs]
  • Copy of address book/telephone book/diary
  • Some stationery and related items suggested (not absolutely necessary – just for the first few weeks) are : common items + rubber stamp with house address + airmail covers + few Indian razor blades for cutting work + screw driver
  • Indian postal stamps – for sending letters through someone coming to India
  • Medical history files
  • Gifts (suggested: rollable pictures, handicrafts, etc)
  • Non-technical books (fiction/religious). [note: second-hand story books are cheap in the US]
  • 1 pair leather chappals, 2 hawai chappals (+ extra straps)
  • soap (bath), toothbrushes (slightly costly here – 1 or 2 bucks) etc
  • Cassettes



Usually clothes are machine washed once a week (laundramat) – hence one week supply of clothes (+ one week backup) is needed. Get all clothes little loose – clothes may shrink in machine wash & you will probably grow fatter.


  • 14-15 sets of undergarments, socks, handkerchiefs (Not necessary ! Good stuff available here & pretty cheap)
  • 5 sets of good shirts, pants
  • a good swimming trunk + few shorts
  • a tie + 1-2 belts
  • 3-6 ordinary towels (Turkish ones start stinking)
  • a bedsheet
  • lungies/dhotis/pajamas
  • thermal underwear (2-4)
  • extra woollen sweaters


  • don’t take Indian files (empty) or punching machines – filing system is different in the US (3 holes, A4)
  • don’t take paper
  • don’t take raincoats
  • don’t buy Wallet but if u spot one which has room for lots of card grab it (wallet for carrying cards can be bought in Canada)
  • wear your shoes to save space in the box. If needed buy only leather shoes (other types of shoes are cheap here). For some weather conditions Indian leather shoes may crack.
  • stuff listed above – most of them are available pretty cheap in here (made in China). Exceptions are leather goods, formal wear. In a month or two you will be in a position to get anything you want (unless you are not on aid)

Food stuffs

Below are some food stuffs that may be taken :

  • 1 – 2.5 kg packets of Sambar Powder
  • 1 packet of Rasam Powder
  • 0.5 box of Masala powder
  • Pickles
  • tamarind paste
  • different dhals in small quantity for initial phase (not a must)
  • Indian instant coffee and tea
  • Elaichi, clove, cinnamon Note: most of these items are available in the Indian stores in the major cities. However you need to carry them for use in the first few days.
  • actually pickles are not allowed – but you can take them in solder-sealed tins. [students are usually not checked for these]
  • take all dry food stuff in sealed plastic packetsDon’t come loaded with foodstuffs as you may have (small) problems with the customs. Try to get “instant” stuff as people generally don’t have much time for cooking in here .


    • big pressure pan (with spare handle, 3 safety valves, 2 weights, 1 base plate, 3 gaskets) [note: big pressure cooker may not be needed as Electric rice cooker can be bought in here ]
    • idli plates
    • dosai turner, rice server & other ladles
    • tongs
    • small bowls
    • rolling pin
    • knife
    • kadaie (optional)
    • cook book – . Non-stick kitchenware is cheap in here and you can buy a full set.


    Things to be kept in Hand Baggage

    • some medicines (including for air-sickness)
    • novel/mags/books for inflight reading
    • sweater
    • original important documents (admit letter, visa, tickets …)
    • enough money (little cash, travellers’ checks)
    • address book/phone book (Indian & US)
    • copies of your photo (passport size)
    • enlisted steps to be followed in case of emergency (accident, theft, etc)
    • things to survive for a week in case luggage gets misplaced (two sets of clothes, valuables like calci, addresses etc)

    Things to be kept on person

    • shorter extract of contact addresses – especially of people coming to pick you up.
    • receipt got along with travellers’ checks – in case you lose the TC’s

    Things to be left at home

    • List of addresses/phone numbers at which info about you can be obtained
    • one copy of all your important documents
    • a copy of all relevant parts of Medical History files
    • Arrange to collect/redirect mail from your room/hostel
    • Arrange to apply/collect/mail your transcripts (about 20 in number preferable)
    • Your tailoring measurements
    • a few blank signed papers – so that your parents can be authorized to look after anything on your behalf
  • Things to be done in the last week before the flight
    • call up & find if there is any delay or change of schedule of the plane (inform the people coming to pick you up of any such change)
    • rest well – ready to face the long journey/jet lag
    • bid bye to all concerned

    On the day of the flight, in-flight & later

    • since it is going to be a long flight wear something comfortable (cotton dress + full hand shirt). Wear your shoes – inflight you can remove them (some airlines give inflight shoes – else relax in socks)
    • be at the airport 3-4 hours before flight departure
    • collect $20 at the airport (part of it in $1)
    • relax during flight, sleep as much as possible
    • for vegetarians – watch out before you eat – you may get non-veg even if you had asked for veg. Veg. food is generally bland – its/juice are good choices. Don’t hesitate to ask questions.
    • once out of India be very careful (from sheer experience of seniors). Don’t trust anyone. Don’t hire a taxi (unless emergency) till you reach your destination. If required don’t hesitate to spend money.
    • Don’t hesitate to talk to people to ask questions usually they will answer all your queries properly .

    Port of entry procedures

    • once you are out of the plane go straight to the immigration counter – rush for them to beat the queue. It might take 0.5-1 hour here.
    • Keep your admit letter, passport, admission & aid letters ready. They might ask a few questions like – is this your first time in Canada ? Student ? Which University ?
    • They will attach a student authorisation letter to your visa.

    You are now in Canada !

    • then go to the baggage are to fetch your luggage. Pick up a cart (you get this at a machine for $1) to carry the bags. Then pick up your bags as they come out on the conveyor (suitable eye-catching labels help here). If you don’t get your baggage inform the enquiry section – you may have to wait 0.5-1 hour here.
    • cart your baggage to nearby Customs.
    • If asked to open the baggage do so slowly – do not mess up the place.
    • If asked about the “podi”s tell them that they are “dried Indian spices” to make traditional Indian food like curry.
    • Note : In most cases you will NOT be asked to open your boxes at all & will be simply waved through.
    • call i) the people at ICS ii) dept. iii)Indian Students’ iv) admissions office
    • Never leave your baggage unattended. Don’t go out of the airport until somebody comes & picks you up.

    A few things of importance in after(arrival)life

    • Your first work is to meet the Foreign Students’ Advisor in the International Center for Student (ICS). They keep a record of you (passport, visa details etc). When you leave (temporarily or permanently) you have to go there again.
    • Then do the things which you did when you entered the University get your Univ ID card get your Driver’s Licence tax forms, etc some paperwork in the dept. meet the HOD/grad. student advisor/advisor register for classes


    Be happy now that your dream has come true !


Please follow and like us:

Guidelines For Studying Abroad In Canada

study in canada

Canada boasts of some of the best universities in the world. With a comparatively lower cost of education, favorable work prospects for international students and a peaceful ambience, it has become a coveted education destination. Students from across the globe have Canadian Universities on their application list, hence, securing admission to a top Canadian University will be not be an easy task. Starting early, building the appropriate profile, collecting relevant information, and gaining a full grasp of the admission requirements are some of the critical areas that students must focus on before starting the application process. Here’s a list of essential things that you need to know to make your study experience in Canada an enriching one.

Why Should I Choose Canada? There are several benefits to studying in Canada ranging from developing diverse skill sets, to becoming independent.  But lets focus on our top 3:

  • Diversity; on campus, you will be engaging with students from across the globe. The multi-cultural environment will teach you how to think outside the box and expose you to different ideas and points of view.
  • ROI; Canada offers a more affordable education compared to other popular destinations even though it hosts some premier institutions with excellent facilities and faculty.
  • Job opportunities; Canadian Universities allow international students a means to support themselves. Through the study permit, you can work part time on or off campus during the academic year, and full time during academic breaks. And when you graduate, you can apply for a work permit that allows you to stay and work in the country for some years.

Which Colleges Should I Apply To? While browsing prospective colleges do not base your decision on rankings alone. Instead look at which colleges are strong in your subject and is your profile an appropriate match. Additionally, does the institution cater towards your professional goals and and address your personal preferences.  So before finalising your institution:

  • Look for colleges that provide courses and the academic base that you need, and where you can cultivate your other interests like sports, music, theatre, to name a few.
  • Think about your preferences. For example, of you want to stay within the precincts of the college ground, go for a campus university. If you are distracted by large crowd and expect a more focused, personal environment of learning, opt for a university that has a smaller teacher student ratio.
  • To avail of financial aid, apply to colleges that offer waivers or scholarships to international students.
  • Enquire about the placements secured by international students and if your companies of interest recruit on campus.

A university that caters to your inclination and needs will pay you off with a fulfilling college-life experience.

What Is The Application Process?: The application criteria varies across institutions. To get the exact details about the specific requirements, you must check the relevant university websites.  However, in general a complete application will include:

  • Application Form & Fee
  • English Proficiency Test Scores (e.g. TOEFL/IELTS)
  • Standardized Test Scores (e.g. GRE/GMAT)
  • Transcripts
  • Essay(s)/SOP
  • Resume/CV
  • Letter of recommendation(s)
  • Interview

Make a checklist to keep tab of the tasks completed. Brace yourself to leave no loose-ends at this vital stage.

What Is the Acceptance Process?: There are 3 potential outcomes when applying:

  • Acceptance; congratulations! You are accepted into your dream university! If you get accepted in more than one university, you really need to rally your critical thinking faculties to weigh the options without bias. If possible consult with alumni and current students of the institutions, glean facts about the positives and negatives of the universities, but above all, try to determine whether the culture, academic rigour, and subject combination will match your goals and expectations.
  • Rejection; after a long wait is heart-breaking, but it is an inevitable part of this process. Do not lose hope as there are many universities that offer late admissions. However, if you are not accepted by a university, you must assess what didn’t work, resolve it and start afresh.
  • Waitlisted; You might also be on the waiting list of your desired college which implies that the college has neither accepted nor declined your application. If all the seats are not occupied in a specific course, the college will then consider candidates on the waiting list. If you wish to pursue your waitlist college, you must correspond with admission officials, explain why you want to attend their college, be positive throughout and ensure to follow up with them. Nevertheless, apply to other universities as an alternative to secure a confirmed spot.

What Is the Cost?: When studying in Canada you need to factor in a number of costs including:

  • Tuition fees; which vary based on the university, duration and program. The average cost of a top undergraduate program is approximately US$17,000/year.
  • Living costs; including rent, room and board, transportation etc. On average they are approximately US$10,700/year
  • One time expenses; when you first arrive in Canada you will need to invest in good winter clothes, laptop and other essential items to help you through the program. Don’t forget to factor these into your cost projections.

The lifestyle that you choose to embrace will also make a marked difference to your overall expenditure. If you adopt a culture of saving, curbing down extraneous spending, you will not run out of funds easily.

What Are The Funding Options: Procuring financial aid is a taxing venture and are a number of avenues you can probe into to cover your education costs including:

  • One of the best sources of financial aid can be the college you attend. Universities provide aid through grants and scholarships which do not have to be repaid and can be offered based on need or merit.
  • Tap into external agencies including community organizations, companies, foundations, and Government agencies.
  • Apply for bank loans after receiving confirmation of admission.
  • Arrange for personal funding; have your own resources in place. You can also pool funds from family and close relatives.
  • With easy availability of work permit you can always opt to pay your bills by working while studying.

Choosing Canada as a study option will not only give you rich dividends in terms of education and employability but you can thoroughly enjoy your tenure as a student.

Please follow and like us:

Top 5 Destinations for Overseas Education

study aboad

Overseas education has become very popular with young students now, and it’s easy to see why! World renowned education standards combined with the chance to broaden your experiences and exposure, make new friends and learn a new language…all these advantages make studying abroad an exciting option for students everywhere.

Which are the preferred education destinations for 2017? Read on to know more about the best places to study abroad!


The USA continues to be the finest education provider in the world − and with an impressive 7 of the top 10 universities located here, it’s easy to see why! Funding and scholarships are available for international students, and postgraduate students can also apply for Research assistant ships or Teaching assistant ships to take the edge off their tuition fees. US Universities strongly emphasize leadership qualities, and offer broader global knowledge that in stil in students a passion for learning; all qualities that hold them in good stead for future career success.


Students who love a quality education in a beautiful country that emphasizes the great outdoors, and who like to work in a relatively stress-free environment pick Australia as their study destination of choice. At present, after the UK and USA, Australia is ranked the third most popular destination for students. The country has a strong international standing as an educational hub of repute. Eight of the top 100 universities (Times Higher Education World rankings) are located here, with courses ranging from areas such as design, creative arts, engineering, health, technology education and medical sciences to name just a few.


Much of the higher education in Germany is publicly funded, even for international students…and with Germans being passionate about anything that they do, you can be sure that the standards of education here are very high. Berlin and Munich are also considered to be among the more affordable study destinations for international students, with costs of living being very affordable. While most programs are taught in English, the locals will converse mostly in German and a good grip over the language is important.


More students than ever before are seeking to study in England, because of its reputation for high-quality education, a wide range of study options and terrific student support. An education here can open up a world of opportunities, and is a life-changing experience that offers great value for money. Thousands of excellent courses lead to degrees that are respected the world over.


Famed for its natural beauty, Canada is also growing to be a very popular study experience for students. Qualifications are globally recognized and tuition is less expensive than in the UK. Four Canadian Universities feature in the top 100 World University Rankings of Times Higher Education World. English and French are the two official languages, and there is a wealth of different study options available with over 15,000 study programs in a wide range of subjects. The Canadian community is multicultural and welcomes international students with warmth.

Please follow and like us:

Work in Canada after Graduation

work in canada

If you want to work after completing your studies in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit. The following programs can help facilitate this process for eligible candidates:

The Post-Graduate Work Program

This is the program that allows international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution (University or College) to gain valuable Canadian work experience through a special work permit issued for the length of the study program, up to 3 years.
You will be Eligible if you:

  • Studied full time in Canada.
  • Graduated from a public post-secondary institution, a private post-secondary institution, or a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
  • Studied in a program that was at least 8 months long.
  • Applied for the work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation that you have completed your academic program.
  • Have received notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.
  • Have a valid study permit when you apply.

The Canadian Experience Class
This program allows international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution (University or College) to apply to permanently stay in Canada. In order to qualify, you must already be familiar with Canadian society, be able to communicate in English or French, have qualifying work experience, and also be able to contribute to the Canadian economy.
You will be eligible if you:

  • Plan to live outside of the province of Quebec.
  • Graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least 1 year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada.
  • Gained work experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization.
  • Submitted your application while working in Canada – or – within 1 year of leaving your job in Canada.
  • Have completed an independent language assessment (from an agency designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada).

Please go to the CIC website, which is www.cic.gc.ca for information regarding immigration programmes or to access immigration application forms.

Please follow and like us: