study in malta

Legal notice 29 of 2008 regulates the admittance and residence (for a period of not less than three months) of third country nationals, who have been accepted by an establishment of higher education and admitted to pursue, as their main activity, a full-time course of study leading to a higher education qualification recognised by the Malta Qualification Recognition Information Centre. The said establishment of higher education could be either the University of Malta or a private college officially authorized to conduct such courses.
A third country national, who shall be following a course of studies as specified above, will require a residence permit to cover his / her stay in Malta. When applying for such a permit the person concerned should submit the following:
  • A valid passport, the validity of which shall cover the duration of the course of studies to be undertaken;
  • A parental declaration, in the case of a minor, authorizing the minor’s stay in Malta for the purposes of studies for the duration of the course;
  • Proof that he/she is covered by sickness insurance in respect of all risks against sickness, unless covered under the provisions of the Healthcare Fees Regulations 2004 (L.N. 201 of 2004);
  • Proof that he/she has been accepted by an educational establishment to follow a full- time course of study recognized by the Malta Qualification Recognition Information Centre
  • Where the student is applying to study at a private institution for a degree to be awarded by a non-Maltese educational entity, he/she shall provide evidence that he/she has registered as an external student with such entity;
  • Documentary evidence that during his/her stay in Malta he/she will have sufficient funds to cover his / her subsistence (which will be equivalent to a minimum of seventy-five percent of the national minimum wage calculated on a weekly basis for the duration of his/her stay in Malta), his/her tuition fees and return travel costs;
  • Evidence of sufficient knowledge of the language of the course which he/she would be following;
  • Proof that the payment of the fees charged by the relative educational establishment have been effected.
A residence permit valid for one year or for the duration of the studies, if the relative period is less than one year, will be issued provided that the issue of such a permit is not contrary to public policy, public security or public health. The issue of such residence permit shall be subject to the student successfully undergoing health screening as instructed. (In this regard further information, as to the procedures that have to be followed, may be obtained from the Educational establishment concerned).
Students holding a residence permit shall be entitled to take up employment, for a maximum period of ten hours each week, as long as they are in possession of an employment licence. Students shall not be so entitled during their first year of residence in Malta. Further information in this respect may be obtained from the Employment and Training Corporation.
The Director, Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs, may withdraw or refuse to renew a residence permit to a student:
  • When the residence permit has been fraudulently acquired;
  • Wherever it appears that he / she did not meet or no longer meets the conditions laid down in the provisions of the above- mentioned legal notice;
  • When he/she does not respect the limits imposed by his / her employment licence;
  • When he/she does not make acceptable progress in his / her studies;
  • On grounds of public policy, public security or public health.


A third country national who will be following a course of studies which does not fall within the parameters of (1) will require a residence permit to cover his/her stay in Malta, unless such period of stay is not covered by a visa, or in the case of third country nationals exempt from the visa requirement, such period of stay is less than three (3) months.

Documents Required:

  • Application Form N duly filled-in and signed
  • Letter of acceptance from the educational institution indicating entitlement to admission and details on course being undertaken and/or extended
  • Copies of the details page/s from the passport
  • Means of support (foreign transfers, bank account, etc) amounting to the    minimum amount per day for the duration of the course and/or extension
  • A health insurance policy valid for Malta.
Please follow and like us:

Related posts