Stand out from the crowd with a degree from a Swedish university. Nearly 900 degree programmes at the bachelor’s and master’s level are taught entirely in English in Sweden, across the spectrum of academic disciplines and often in ground-breaking interdisciplinary fields.
In Sweden, you’ll be challenged to find your own voice and critically evaluate the world around you. Project work will teach you to apply cutting-edge research to real-world challenges as part of an intercultural team. And some of the world’s most exciting companies – and a new generation of startups – have their home in Sweden, making a degree in Sweden the first step to a global career.
When you choose to study in Sweden, you don’t just pick a place – you pick a future.
Why Study in Sweden?
- Be challenged and inspired by almost 1000 degree programmes taught in English at over 35 universities.
- Creativity is central. When you study in Sweden, you’re encouraged to think independently, creatively and critically.
- Informality. Students are on a first name with their professors and encouraged to question and contribute.
- Explore an open and progressive society that has pioneered social equality and eco-conscious living.
- Enjoy life. Sweden is a safe, clean, and beautiful country with one of the highest standards of living in the world.
- Everyone speaks English. Sweden regularly ranks as one of the top countries in the world for non-native speakers of English.
- Experience university culture dating back 500, 50 or 5 years – historical and new universities combine the best of tradition and innovation.
Universities in Sweden
Sweden is home to over 35 universities and university colleges. Many of these are large, comprehensive research institutions, while others are smaller in size and more focused in scope. All Swedish universities and university colleges offer rigorous degree programmes according to the standard European system of bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Visit studyinsweden.se to browse universities based on subject area and location or start with a programme search to find just the right programme for you.
Study English language preparation courses in Sweeden
- The Swedish university system is ranked first in the world in relation to GDP, and second in the world overall, by the U21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems.
- Five Swedish universities are ranked within the world’s top 125 by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings
- Three Swedish universities are ranked within the world’s top 100 and eight in the top 300 by the Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities
How to apply
Applications for bachelor’s and master’s programmes are made through a central application service, Universityadmissions.se. Visit Universityadmissions.se for eligibility requirements and application guidelines for upcoming semesters.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Tuition fees for students who are citizens of countries outside of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland range between SEK 80,000–140,000 per academic year for most subjects.
Scholarships are offered to high-achieving students both on the national level and by individual universities. Visit studyinsweden.se/scholarships for an overview of the scholarship programmes available and how to apply.
Students who are citizens of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland do not pay tuition fees.
Rules for visas and residence permits for international students in Sweden vary depending on country of citizenship. Visit the Swedish Migration Agency’s website for more information.